Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Emotions and changing

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 9 Replies
Mamas, I need either advice or someone to let me know their toddlers have gone or are going through a similar thing.
My son is 14 months old, recently he's been so emotional and hissy.
Some examples, yesterday I was holding him and he put his hand down my shirt in front of people so I gently moved his hand away and didn't say anything- there was no possible way I could have intentionally hurt his feelings, but his face! He looked at me, his bottom lip curled under and his eyes welted up. I've moved his hand away numerous times and everything's been fine, but now it's the worst thing in the world.
This morning we were nursing and he bit me, I said ouch lightly and unlatched him and he made the same exact face.
The last 3 nights he's been waking up every 2-3 hours.. He typically slept through from 8:30-6 then back in bed from 6:15 to 8. I know sleep regression is somewhat normal for this age.
Just now he climbed on the couch, I sat him down on the floor and dat there with him, he stood up, screamed and cried so hard his whole body started shaking.. And this is new, it's happened at least once or twice a day for the last week.. Is this a temper tantrum?
I'm at a loss, where's my sweet happy baby boy?
He's got 3 of his molars coming in and he's got a third bottom from tooth coming in so I'm assuming part of it is teething, part of it is sleep deprivation, and part of it is just the age?
Any thoughts??
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
goddess99
by Michelle on May. 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I think it's teething and lack of sleep.

kss12
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm thinking that too.. He keeps biting his fingers which he hasn't done in forever. Hope it ends soon before I go bald!

Quoting goddess99:

I think it's teething and lack of sleep.

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 7, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I used baby orajel.

kss12
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Our ped said not to as it numbs the throat. Instead he said to put Tylenol on finger and rub on gums.. It works but not for long.

Quoting goddess99:

I used baby orajel.

splatz
by Sarah on May. 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I agree on teething & lack of sleep. Have you looked into Hylands teething tablets? They helped my kiddos.

kss12
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Yep he's been taking those as well but only in 7 day increments. I haven't noticed a crazy difference but its helped a little. Might I mention he's dropped his 2nd nap of the day.. I lay him in his room and he just plays in his crib then eventually cries when he's over it. He's gone 3 says now not taking that second nap. Obviously he needs it but won't take it: ah! Just pray for me!

Quoting splatz:

I agree on teething & lack of sleep. Have you looked into Hylands teething tablets? They helped my kiddos.

Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I was going to ask you if he was getting any teeth in. So, yeah that answers that. Plus, he is getting older. Nothing really helped mine with teething to be honest with you.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Probably teething.

splatz
by Sarah on May. 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Hope it goes by quickly mama! Cranky toddlers are the worst. Mine was horrendous over the weekend & yesterday. She ended up sleeping 6:30 pm- 8 am. Then taking an hour and a half nap this afternoon. Now she is a totally different child. Its amazing what little monsters they can be when sleep deprived!

Quoting kss12:

Yep he's been taking those as well but only in 7 day increments. I haven't noticed a crazy difference but its helped a little. Might I mention he's dropped his 2nd nap of the day.. I lay him in his room and he just plays in his crib then eventually cries when he's over it. He's gone 3 says now not taking that second nap. Obviously he needs it but won't take it: ah! Just pray for me!

Quoting splatz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)