Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

If a dog bites, should it be destroyed?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 15 Replies

Lately, I have seen a lot of stories on the news or online about dog attacks. Most of them are from Pit Bulls because it seems as if they get all the negative attention in the media. However, the story I read yesterday was about a Labrador that attacked a woman in Iowa.

I'm not asking about the age old Pit Bull debate or even the 'what constitutes an agressive breed' debate, I am asking about something a little more simple. 

If a dog attacks/bites someone, should the dog be destroyed? And should the owner be held responsible for the dog?

Personally, I do not think a dog bite should be a death sentence for the dog. But I am all for putting the dog down for an all  out attack or mauling.

by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Every dog bite is not created equal.

A nip is not a dog mauling someone to death.

If a dog bites once, then no.

If a dog causes major injury or damage, or if it has bitten previously and is biting again, then yes.  Vicious dogs do not belong out on the streets.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM

If a dog just outright attacks somebody, then there is an issue.  Sometimes dog "bites" are just them snapping and a limp is too close to the snapping jaws. 

kss12
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM
My dog has nipped at 2 people.. Because he felt threatened by both. Never broken skin or seriously hurt anyone. He's a teacup maltese. If I had a dog maul someone then id obviously put the dog down, but if there's a minor bite involved and the dogs feel threatened, their only recourse is to bite, nip or bark. Depending on the nature of what happened would make my deciaion
NiCo86
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM
yes and yes.
MichelleMc
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Of course not. There are a million reasons why a dog bites. They are an ANIMAL. Mauling is one thing, dog bite is totally another. What caused it? Did they feel threatened? How bad was the "bite"? Did they bite before? Who was the person bitten & what were they doing? Also, News is just that, needing to fill a story spot. You hear the "worst", and the person wanting 15 minutes of fame or money. You rarely see the "injury" just the story line. You always hear about how bad, especially if it is a Pit Bull just simply because of the breed and what bad people do to them. You also hear about the bad ones, that in fact might just need put down.
goddess99
by Michelle on May. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Depends why the dog is attaching.

Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I agree!

Quoting MichelleMc:

Of course not. There are a million reasons why a dog bites. They are an ANIMAL. Mauling is one thing, dog bite is totally another. What caused it? Did they feel threatened? How bad was the "bite"? Did they bite before? Who was the person bitten & what were they doing? Also, News is just that, needing to fill a story spot. You hear the "worst", and the person wanting 15 minutes of fame or money. You rarely see the "injury" just the story line. You always hear about how bad, especially if it is a Pit Bull just simply because of the breed and what bad people do to them. You also hear about the bad ones, that in fact might just need put down.

itismebarbra00
by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Depends on the circumstances. Was the person asked not to touch the dog and they ignored you? Was the dog acting aggressively and bit someone? Was the dog being teased or thretened? Every dog bite should be judged a acording to what lead up to the bite.

preacherskid
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Why did the dog bite and was it a repeat or a first time bite, are the things I would want to know.  If the dog shows a history of unprovoked attacks, then yes the dog should be put down and the owner held responsible- if the dog has bitten once it is the owner's respnsibility to make sure it doesn't happen again, just as it is the owner's responsibility to keep that first bite from happening.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Depends

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)