Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Losing motivation

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hi Moms!

I'm new to this group. Just looking for some advice on dealing with stress. I'm in a bad slump and can't seem to get out due to exhaustion and a bit of anxiety with my workload. About me: I am a 35 yr old mom with twin 6 year old girls & a 20 month old daughter as well. I am married - altho my husband is fairly useless. Don't get me wrong - he works a busy daytime job....but when it comes to any housework or anything with the kids -- he's just not going to participate.

I love being a mom and wouldn't trade it in for anything. But, I also work a very demanding full time job in the Accounting field. When I get home and the craziness of the evenings (homework, dinner, baths, pjs, meltdowns, etc) begins - I feel incredibly overwhelmed and am looking for some techniques or suggestions to help find some inner peace. About 9 weeks ago I started this great exercise DVD called Turbo Fire. Its awesome by the way!! But, I'm about half way thru the 20-week DVD program and I'm quickly losing motivation because of stress and feeling overwhelmed. Anyone have any ideas or things that they've used to de-stress at the end (of beginning) of a long day?

surrender

by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
goddess99
by Michelle on May. 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you just need some help. Call your mil and tell her, her son can't be bothered with the girls, do you mind taking them for a bit? If I got that phone call sh!t would change. Good luck, talk to your dh, you're not running a hotel.

Imjustinsmommy
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this

im a sahm  so its different but i do understand the same feling of  being overwhelmed & burnt out..  i do exercises too & such but i think what you also need is yoga, something that will calm & SLOW you down. you need to unwind, slow down everything, mediation & yoga are great! also i love EFT ( emotional freedom technique) its  tapping on different areas in the body kinda like acupressure points & saying affirmations.. sounds weird but it WORKSSSSSSS i deal with  bad anxiety.. go on youtube to  eftwizard look through all his  vids & you will find MANY that are excatly  what you need to hear.. trust me..  play with them for a bit , repeat what he says, tap along if you want.. ive   done it a while & i love it.  have tea  at night, read a book, anything to  de stress,  a bath.. oh & if dh is " useless  at home..  he can help you in the bedroom  ;) im serious BIG stress reliever lol

Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

You have a lot on your plate. Reading the Bible is very relaxing before bed. Ending it with a prayer is nice.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope everything works out for you soon.

thesj180herself
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I definitely understand this stress! I'm a working mother of a three-year-old and I feel like I have no help, even though my boyfriend lives with us. What's helped me relax is taking a nice hot bath when my daughter's asleep, maybe doing some yoga, and reading a book. And I would definitely call your MIL for help, too.

Stay strong, Momma, you're doing great!

MomOfTwins2
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Thanks for all the great advice ladies! Ironically enough -- I actually LOVE yoga but stopped going to classes awhile ago because of time constraints. Maybe I can re-work my schedule to get back in there! Re: my MIL -- she's not really on my side here. She lives in Ireland. (My husband is Irish.) And unfortunately she lived in a time and place where moms/wives just did everything. Her husband was never any help...and that's true to this day. So, I feel like my husband is just picking up this behavior that he grew up with unfortunately. He's definitely a mama's boy! We've talked....for years....about this issue and I've done (or suggested) everything I can to get him to help (i.e. therapy, counseling, thought about leaving him, etc). Tough situation because we have a house and kids together. So, I just keep on keeping on, ya know. I guess I'll try to get through to him again. Just feels like I'm talking to myself sometimes. But, I really thank all you ladies for the great advice! Nice to know I'm not the only one!

group hug

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)