Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have You Heard of the Sex 'Superbug'?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

'Sex Superbug’ Could Be Deadlier Than AIDS: Here’s What You Need to Know

by Kiri Blakeley

Sex is a strange thing. It's one of the most wonderfully intimate and bonding experiences we can share with someone. And ... it can kill you. I KNOW. Such a paradox. With every person we find super attractive and want to get to know better -- especially between the sheets -- we have to also take on certain risks. And those risks can be deadly! It's crazy! Who thought up this sex thing? Really got it wrong in my opinion. Anyway. Point is, there's a new "superbug" out there in sex land and experts fear it's going to be deadlier than AIDS! Ack, bring me my chastity belt!

Two cases of the "sex superbug" have been found in Hawaii. So I know where I'm NOT going on vacation. (Ha. Little joke.) The superbug, which is an antibiotic-resistant strain of gonorrhea, has the potential to be as deadly or even deadlier than AIDS. It first surfaced in Japan a couple of years ago, but has since spread to Hawaii.

And unlike AIDS, this superbug can kill you in a matter of days. Not only that, people often don't have symptoms, so someone could pass it along to you without knowing they have it.

Besides no sex, safe sex is the best way to avoid sexually transmitted diseases, but I'm just going to be honest here. After you think you're seeing someone exclusively, the condoms usually come off. Whether it's a week, a month, six months, or a year, eventually, they come off. I don't know too many exclusive couples wearing condoms. So it's important that you get tested before they do. I don't care that you've been seeing the guy for months and he's told you everything, and blah blah blah. He may not even know he has it. YOU may not even know you have it.

I know how hard it is to be in a relationship and even consider the possibility that someone might be cheating. But that happens too. I think of a friend of mine whose husband recently gave her an STD. They had three kids and had been married over a decade. She TRUSTED him. Still ... not too many people are going to use condoms who are married.

So I say ... talk with your spouse. Make it clear, "I don't want you cheating. If I find you cheating, we're done." (Or whatever you want to say.) But then tell him about this superbug that could wipe you both out in days! Tell him condoms are a MUST if he cheats. Is that condoning cheating? I think it's just being realistic. And, hey, if you want to use them too, there's some fun condoms out there. Then you don't have to worry about it. 

Honestly, it's all enough to make you want to join a monastery. But since most of us don't want to do that, take a deep breath, relax, realize the chances of you getting this if you and your partner are very careful are slim. And then put a GPS device on his shoe. Kidding! (Sorta.)

Have you heard of this superbug?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleeFan
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I have not heard about this before. It is pretty gross to be honest. 

If this is something as serious as the title indicates, there should be more public awareness of it. Sleeping around is never a good thing, but the public should be made aware of something so potential dangerous.

delanna6two
HAPPY EASTER!!!
Monday at 3:19 PM
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM

My 1st. hearing of it....thanks for the info.

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

huh never heard of it. And I better never have to worry about it!

kckmom3
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I haven't heard of it but I'm not suprised....stuff mutates all the time and can become resistant to treatment. Condoms are good, but some STDs can be on areas not covered by a condom. People need to be careful and realize that sex comes with risks...just like anything else in life.
EarlGrayHot
by on May. 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM

No and it sounds like an urban legend-has all the earmarks-so I wouldn't worryabout it unless you get confirmation from a reputable source.

Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

No I haven't. Thanks for sharing!

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Never heard of it.

splatz
by Sarah on May. 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I read about this the other day. Crazy stuff!

splatz
by Sarah on May. 7, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Settle down: no 'sex superbug' in the US, despite reports

Reports of a new “sex superbug” threatening the U.S. aren’t true, public health officials say, even as they reiterate worries about the rise of drug-resistant gonorrhea.

“The sky is not falling -- yet,” said Dr. Kimberly Workowski, a professor of infectious disease at Emory University in Atlanta.

Several media outlets, including The Associated Press, last week reported that a rare strain of gonorrhea known as HO41 had been detected in Hawaii. That would have raised alarms nationwide, signaling the first domestic sign of a strain that's been found to be resistant to ceftriaxone, an injectable antibiotic that is the last-resort treatment for the sexually transmitted infection.

But the Hawaii cases, first discovered in May 2011, were actually a different strain, H11S8, resistant to a different drug, the antibiotic azithromycin, state health officials confirmed. That’s been a known problem for a while, Workowski added. The AP later withdrew the inaccurate report.

In fact, the HO41 strain hasn’t been detected anywhere in the world since 2009, when it was found in a Japanese sex worker, said Dr. Robert Kirkcaldy, a medical epidemiologist with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  A handful of other cases that are resistant to ceftriaxone have been detected in other countries, but they’re different isolates, he added.

The false reports have put public health experts in the unusual position of refuting an error while also emphasizing that the threat of untreatable gonorrhea in the U.S. is very real.

“We think that that could be just a matter of a year or two,” said William Smith, executive director of the National Coalition of STD Directors.

Nearly 322,000 cases of gonorrhea were reported in the U.S. in 2011, making it again the second most commonly reported notifiable infection in the nation. Sufferers often show no signs, so the actual number of infections is likely closer to 700,000, according to the CDC.

For decades, gonorrhea was easy to treat with a single dose of antibiotics. But the germ is wily and easily mutable. It developed resistance to successive classes of drugs over the years until the cephalosporins, the current treatment, were all that’s left.

In recent years, though, there have been worrisome signs that the bug is starting to outsmart those drugs, too. Last year, the CDC stopped recommending the oral antibiotic cefixime to treat gonorrhea after surveillance showed it was on the verge of resistance. Now, the recommended treatment is the injectable ceftriaxone along with two other antibiotics, azithromycin or doxycycline.

“The point was to actually preserve the last remaining drug we know is effective,” said Workowski.

The NCSD, led by Smith, has asked Congress for $54 million in emergency appropriations to help bolster the US public health infrastructure that monitors, diagnoses and treats gonorrhea.

“Untreated gonorrhea is a disaster for public health and HIV prevention,” Smith said.

The best prevention against gonorrhea is monogamous sex between uninfected partners, Kirkcaldy said. Diligent use of condoms can also prevent infection, he added.

Source: http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/06/18088680-settle-down-no-sex-superbug-in-the-us-despite-reports?lite

splatz
by Sarah on May. 7, 2013 at 10:27 PM

You are totally right! I just searched through & it looks like a lot of news sources are retracting their articles on it. 

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

No and it sounds like an urban legend-has all the earmarks-so I wouldn't worryabout it unless you get confirmation from a reputable source.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)