Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My son is extremely picky... (ETA)

Posted by   + Show Post

My DS is 6.  He is so picky.  I can't get him to try anything new.  His diet is so limited.  For the last two nights he has eaten a pb&j.  Lunch too.  For dinner before that it was cheese pizza.  He completely flips out when we even suggest he eat something else or something new.  I just don't know what to do!  His diet is so limited to just a few things he will eat.  None of which are great for him.  Mac & cheese on occasion (most of the time he won't eat it), waffles, pancakes, bacon (which I don't give hardly ever), pb&j, cheese or pepperoni pizza, chicken nuggets, doesn't care for fries, yogurt.  I give him a multi-vitamin daily and vitamin c.  

Has anyone dealt with this and were able to convert your child?  

(ETA)

Ok I guess I should have been more specific.  He will eat more than pb&j and pizza. He eats: pizza, nuggets and fries, waffles, pancakes, bacon, tacos with meat, cheese, sour cream, cheese quesadillas, pb&j, pb and honey, pb and Nutella, homemade chili in a hot dog bun, cereal, yogurt, cheese sticks, eggs, grits, mac and cheese... It is so frustrating. He will not eat any fruits or veggies.  I think we have probably created this situation.  It got to the point that it was easier to just let him eat what he would eat than to argue about it every night.  He tells me he will eat good foods that are good for him when he gets older, like 10.    

He stayed with my mom until he started school and she tended to humor him and his picky eating.  When we talk about him trying new foods now he says, "I'm picky, I don't like to try good foods!"  I have only tried the you eat what we eat theory a couple of times and not consistently because I felt so bad making him go to bed hungry.  He will eat any junk food you give him.  

by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
Traveler4Life
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I hope the links above help.  This is not the typical "picky eating' that kids go throw.  What you describe and what my son experience is "food adversion".  Since 9 months my son was always extremely picky.  He never transitioned to table foods well.  He didn't eat cheerios or any of the typical finger foods.  There are about 10 foods he'll eat but everything is very specific, brand specific and label specific.  It a company changes the label it can cause issues.  He'll eat yogurt but not just any yogurt.  He'll eat cheese sticks but not cheese cubes.  It has to be the same brand.  We have to take his food with us wherever we go.  The issues have gotten worse over time because he is growing but not eating any new foods.  He's now 8 (going on 9 in August) and I just don't see how he can continue on only 10 foods. 

Therapist have worked with him on exposing him to new foods slowly.  They've also used the food chaining method which didn't really help for us but has helped for others.  Here are two more links for books that were helpful.

Food Chaining - http://www.amazon.com/Food-Chaining-Feeding-Problems-Child%C2%92s/dp/1600940161

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1932565124/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1600940161&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1DQG276Z5JH8EED6YPVC

Good luck.  Keep me posted on how things go.

EarlGrayHot
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

THe eating habits they develop when they're kids is probably going to stick with them for the rest of your life.  If it's a texture thing ask him and figure out some foods he'd like.  But don't let him continue to eat such a limited menu.  He must have fruits and veggies.  Ask him for input instead of declaring he must eat something or else!  Ask him to try a couple of bites of everything you serve because unless you try it you CANNOT know if you like it or not.  Then let him go if he says he doesn't like it. 

splatz
by Sarah on May. 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Will he drink smoothies? You can easily sneak fruits and veggies in them so they are healthy but still taste good. I like adding organic baby spinach to my kids smoothies. You can't even taste it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traveler4Life
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Ok.  Well, your initial post was very misleading.  I don't think he has food aversion based on your second post. 

You may need to adjust his eating habits so that he'll choose healthier options.  If you only give him junk food that's what he'll want to eat.  It seems like your son is able to eat a full range of foods if you just expose them to him.  Whereas, my son has feeding issues that are different from your situation.

happinessforyou
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

No kid ever starved in one night. You need to move him past/over his pickiness for his own good. Baby steps, one new thing at a time. Make him try this or that. Let him choose-but to say none is not an option. GL

trendy2
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

It was and I was on my cellphone.  After I read it again, I saw I needed to go back and edit it with more info.  I do apologize for that and I hope you have luck with your son.  :)

Quoting Traveler4Life:

Ok.  Well, your initial post was very misleading.  I don't think he has food aversion based on your second post. 

You may need to adjust his eating habits so that he'll choose healthier options.  If you only give him junk food that's what he'll want to eat.  It seems like your son is able to eat a full range of foods if you just expose them to him.  Whereas, my son has feeding issues that are different from your situation.

paknari
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I guess I'm mean. If my kid doesn't eat what we're eating she doesn't eat. There are a couple things she truly doesn't like such as green beans but se will eat all other veggies do I allow it. I don't think you will get out of this situation unless you force it at this point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Eating habits change all the time so don't believe that a child's eating habits will stick with them forever. Do you eat the way you ate when you were a child?

However if you think this is more severe than habit, it can't hurt to get him evaluated for a sensory processing disorder. Extreme picking eating is one of the classic signs.

Other than that, I'm no help. I've never dealt with super picky kids.
trendy2
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM
I have never thought to try them. Have any good recipes where I can sneak in any fruits or veggies?

Quoting splatz:

Will he drink smoothies? You can easily sneak fruits and veggies in them so they are healthy but still taste good. I like adding organic baby spinach to my kids smoothies. You can't even taste it. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)