Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My son is extremely picky... (ETA)

Posted by   + Show Post

My DS is 6.  He is so picky.  I can't get him to try anything new.  His diet is so limited.  For the last two nights he has eaten a pb&j.  Lunch too.  For dinner before that it was cheese pizza.  He completely flips out when we even suggest he eat something else or something new.  I just don't know what to do!  His diet is so limited to just a few things he will eat.  None of which are great for him.  Mac & cheese on occasion (most of the time he won't eat it), waffles, pancakes, bacon (which I don't give hardly ever), pb&j, cheese or pepperoni pizza, chicken nuggets, doesn't care for fries, yogurt.  I give him a multi-vitamin daily and vitamin c.  

Has anyone dealt with this and were able to convert your child?  

(ETA)

Ok I guess I should have been more specific.  He will eat more than pb&j and pizza. He eats: pizza, nuggets and fries, waffles, pancakes, bacon, tacos with meat, cheese, sour cream, cheese quesadillas, pb&j, pb and honey, pb and Nutella, homemade chili in a hot dog bun, cereal, yogurt, cheese sticks, eggs, grits, mac and cheese... It is so frustrating. He will not eat any fruits or veggies.  I think we have probably created this situation.  It got to the point that it was easier to just let him eat what he would eat than to argue about it every night.  He tells me he will eat good foods that are good for him when he gets older, like 10.    

He stayed with my mom until he started school and she tended to humor him and his picky eating.  When we talk about him trying new foods now he says, "I'm picky, I don't like to try good foods!"  I have only tried the you eat what we eat theory a couple of times and not consistently because I felt so bad making him go to bed hungry.  He will eat any junk food you give him.  

by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (21-25):
Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM
It depends on the child. He may be some what picky all his life.

Quoting trendy2:

He has been like this for about 3 years. How long did it take them to get over it?

Quoting Janet:

He will get over it as he gets older. I know many a kid that went through this. Don't worry about it. At least he is eating.

splatz
by Sarah on May. 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

They were a god-send when my toddler went through a phase where she pretty much never wanted to eat. My kids favorite is banana, strawberry, and spinach. Then I add in a little 100% juice and some ice. I don't use recipes.. I just sort of throw whatever in.

Since he likes yogurt that is a good base to use. 

Here is just one quick link I found googling. I know I have some more specific recipes on Pinterest. Let me look & I will see what I can find. :)

Quoting trendy2:

I have never thought to try them. Have any good recipes where I can sneak in any fruits or veggies?

Quoting splatz:

Will he drink smoothies? You can easily sneak fruits and veggies in them so they are healthy but still taste good. I like adding organic baby spinach to my kids smoothies. You can't even taste it. :)

splatz
by Sarah on May. 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM

splatz
by Sarah on May. 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM

http://www.damyhealth.com/2011/03/101-healthy-smoothies/

I love this one for breakfast for myself. Its super filling. Though probably not as healthy as some other options. 

Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie

Rated :  by 719 people
Makes: 1 servings View Nutrition Facts

INGREDIENTS

• 10ounces  skim milk or plain soy milk
  • 1tablespoon  natural peanut butter
  • 1medium banana

DIRECTIONS

Make it:

1. In a blender, combine all ingredients and mix until smooth. Use 6 ice cubes for a thicker consistency.

Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie
HappyMommyToo
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:02 AM
I hope it works out for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN