Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Mom Gives Birth TWICE In a Matter of Days??

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 14 Replies

Mom Has 'Double Labor' & Gives Birth to 2 More Babies a Week After Delivering the First

by Mary Fischer

baby footWow. Most of us have probably never heard of the phenomenon of "double labor," which occurred in the case of a mom of triplets who delivered two of her babies eight days after the first was born at 26 weeks.

Sarita and Colin Saltmarsh of Sydney, Australia had conceived the triplets via IVF. On February 28, Sarita went into labor unexpectedly, and gave birth to a baby girl, Yasmin, at her home. Oh, one more thing -- did I mention Colin was the one who wound up helping deliver his daughter when the labor started? (Talk about Superdad.)

As soon as her baby was born, ambulances arrived at the home in anticipation of having three newborns to transport to the hospital. But miraculously, the other two babies stayed inside the womb -- and didn't make their entrance into the world until eight days later.

Sarita's second labor happened naturally, and little Yasmin's brother, Suntaj, and sister, Zarine, finally joined the family. Unlike the eight-day span they waited after their sister's birth, however, these two were born a mere 20 minutes apart.

Baby Yasmin is still in intensive care, and Zarine and Suntaj are in special care -- and it's a miracle in itself that all three of them survived.

Of her birth experience, Sarita said, "It was just miraculous, we feel extremely lucky to have delayed their birth, even just eight days made such a difference, they are much fatter and stronger."

Hopefully all three of the babies will continue to thrive every single day and will go home soon, and when they do -- boy, are birthday celebrations going to be interesting. I mean, what are the odds of having siblings who are triplets who weren't born on the same day? (That's enough to make anyone scratch their head in confusion.)

And it should lead to some pretty interesting discussions too. "Are you kids triplets? Oh, how cute. When is their birthday?" -- "Well, now that you mention it ..."

One thing's for sure, these parents will have quite a story to tell their children as they grow up -- and they'll be able to stress how unique and special they are, even though they're technically just regular old triplets. (Relax, I'm kidding about the "regular old" part.)

Have you ever heard of double labor?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

No my 1st. hearing...so happy mom and babies are ok..

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Never heard of it before, wouldn't want to experience it either lol.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Same here.

Quoting goddess99:

Never heard of it before, wouldn't want to experience it either lol.

brieri
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Twins.  A school which my girls attended there were two girl twins born in separate months (3 months apart).  The only thing that set them apart was the color of their hair, other than that they looked identical.

MoeksieNature
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Never heard of it, but isn't it amazing what our bodies can do! Thanks for sharing this story.

SlapItHigh
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Yes but with twins.
AJ-47
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM
That's incredible.
Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM

No I haven't. Glad they are all doing okay.

splatz
by Sarah on May. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM

That is pretty amazing! 

IAMmomtotrips
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM

One of my dearest friends, had her triplets a full month apart.  Baby A came at 24 weeks and Baby B and C came at 28 weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN