Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Morning Sickness lost me my Job :( What should we do?

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hey Ladies,

My names is Jazmin, Im 25 this year. I have daughter who will be 3 in September this year and am 9 weeks pregnant with my #2. My fiance and I both worked at our local Goodwill. Both making min. wage, living comfortably though paycheck to paycheck. 

I recently had to leave work because of severe morning sickness. I have been stuck in bed for the past few weeks. It really does suck. I have tried almost everything for morning sickness and just about nothing works. Its hits the worst in the morning and before bed. 

Anywho, having to leave my job, Im worried we will not be able to provide for our family. Min. wage, one income household, with rent and bills, we've been so stressed about being able to get by. 

I do get foodstamps through the state, I refuse to get back on welfare. I've worked too hard to get off welfare to just get stuck back on it. 

Has anyone gone through this or is going through this who might be able to give me some positive insight, advice, suggestions? Is there anything I can do to help my fiance with our finances? Any work from home opportunities, anything. Anything at all helps. 

Thank you so much in advance. 

by on May. 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on May. 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, my only advice is what you don't want, get back on welfare. You might have to do it for a year for your babies then you can go back to work. Good luck dear.

MumsTheWord571
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Did your doctor prescribe Zofran? That was my BEST FRIEND during my last pregnancy.
jazelise1
by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM

A lot of moms have been recommending zofran but with my history of miscarraiges, my doc wants to avoid it. :/

grneyedormom
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM
If you were fired, you can file for unemployment. Do you live in an at-will state for employment or were you given a reason? If you had a Dr's note excusing you from work you may have a leg to stand on. FMLA would have covered you possibly as well.
jazelise1
by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I wasn't fired. It was a mutual agreement that I leave and give them the opportunity to fill the position with someone who can be there. I am rehirable there, but not until after my pregnancy. My doctor has put me on bed rest till my MS dies down, but I had already missed too many days of work it was best I left. I live in Washington, not sure what else to do other than welfare, which I refuse. Im thinking consignment shops, ebay, and selling things we dont need, or finding a legit work from home opportunity. 

grneyedormom
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 5:58 PM
You may still be able to claim unemployment t, call your local unemployment office and check into it. They might consider it a layoff.
jazelise1
by on May. 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Good idea. Thank you

kzoboe
by on May. 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry to hear you got so sick.  congrats on the pregnancy though!

don't rule out welfare, it is really intended for situations just like yours.  you pay your taxes, you should get to receive the benefits when you need them.  Probably you won't have to be on it long, as someone else said.

I like the other ideas--sell stuff on ebay, a LEGIT work-at-home opportunity, etc.

Also consider babysitting, housecleaning, cooking, sewingerrand-running, tutoring, any skill you have, that people woulld be willing to pay you for (OR barter something else for--for instance, you clean their house, they mow your yard).

If you have the space and the landlord lets you, plant a garden.  Or look for a community garden.  I believe you can use food stamps to buy the seeds.  SAves a ton of money and you know you are getting good food, not that GMO $#!+.

Could you do temp work in an office or factory through an agency such as Manpower (they hire women too) or Kelly Services?  maybe when the morning sickness gets better....

If you are not doing so already, COOK  from scratch.  Pack lunches for your fiance--much cheaper than going out.  Substitute some meatless meals for meat ones, there are lots of good ethnic recipes using beans.

If you drink milk, and can stand the taste, use powdered milk (I hate both.....).

Sometimes there are churches that give free community dinners.  Take advantage!

Walk or bike anywhere you can for errands, saves gas.

Get a cheaper cable TV plan.  Or cancel entirely, and borrow movies from library.

Speaking of libraries, borrow "The Tightwad Gazette" books by Amy Dacyzyn (I think that is how she spells her name).  super ideas!!

Make sure you tell your food stamp caseworker that you are no longer working.  You may get more food stamps because your income is now lower.  Ask if there are any other programs you might qualify for, such as WIC.

Buy only what you absolutely need.

Pray.

Have a garage sale to sell stuff you don't need.  Mention to every customer that you are looking for work.  Let all your friends and family know too.  Sometimes you have to rely on "Good Old American Know-Who"  (yes i meant Know-Who).

Good luck!  Remember, somewhere, someone with the same size family is living on your (now lowered) income.  Why not you?  {{{HUGS}}}

LivinDeadGurl
So tired of this migraine!
Yesterday at 3:17 PM
by Maranda on May. 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM

If you are on bedrest, you may be able to get help due to it being a medical issue. 

connie45
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM
No one from work gave you FMLA information?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)