Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is Disney's new sexy princess too much?

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

Disney is taking a lot of heat for redesigning Merida, the heroine from their movie Brave. 

The redesign came with Disney crowning Merida as a princess. Experts are saying that the message Disney is sending is that Merida was not good enough to be a princess until she had a makeover. Thus effecting young girls' self esteem.

Personally, I think it starts at home. If you teach your child to value themselves, then they will, regardless of what the outside world thinks.

What do you think about Disney's decision to 'upgrade' her look?

Do you think wanting to make something or someone prettier can effect young girls' self esteem?

by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nurse1997
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM

cute

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I also think self esteem begins at home. If they wanted her to be a prettier princess they should have introduced her like that in the 1st place.

grneyedormom
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not so sure I like it...she went from looking lik the young girl she is presented as in the movie, to an older teenager. So does that mean when they make Brave 2, she will be older, to match her makeover?? I understand why they may have done it, to bring her up to "par" so to speak with the other Princesses, I'm still undecided.

villagemamma
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont get why everyone is getting so bent over this. its not even that big a deal

GleeFan
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I completely agree with you.

Why change her now?

Quoting goddess99:

I also think self esteem begins at home. If they wanted her to be a prettier princess they should have introduced her like that in the 1st place.

GleeFan
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM

If they were aging her that would be one thing, but I don't know if that was their motivation. Even if it was, do you remember how much flak the creators of Dora, the Explorer took when they aged her too? Critics and parents were upset saying that she was too 'pretty' and sexualized. 

Quoting grneyedormom:

I'm not so sure I like it...she went from looking lik the young girl she is presented as in the movie, to an older teenager. So does that mean when they make Brave 2, she will be older, to match her makeover?? I understand why they may have done it, to bring her up to "par" so to speak with the other Princesses, I'm still undecided.

MichelleMc
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM
3 moms liked this

While I do believe it is done at home, kids & teens are totally influenced by outside sources whether we want them to be or not. From friends to TV/Music/Magazines, etc.This is a freaking cartoon & they are doing it. There is enough to contend with with the "superstars". I don't see why they couldn't have left well enough alone. 

grneyedormom
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Whether it was intentional or not, Merida looks much older and attractive than the original version. I vaguely remember something about Dora but that may have happened after my daughter stopped watching her. I'm still undecided though, and I feel that if they are going to make changes and have a character look more grown up then the character needs to grow up in subsequent movies as well.

Quoting GleeFan:

If they were aging her that would be one thing, but I don't know if that was their motivation. Even if it was, do you remember how much flak the creators of Dora, the Explorer took when they aged her too? Critics and parents were upset saying that she was too 'pretty' and sexualized. 

Quoting grneyedormom:

lillucky8
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this
I dont think it was necessary, she kinda looks the same except the dress is skimpier in the chest area. They could have just given her a new fancier dress and been done. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree!

Quoting goddess99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)