Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I truly need help and don't know where to turn . . . .

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
  • 11 Replies

My family is in a terrible place and I am at a loss as to how to fix this.   Looonngg story trying to be made short, we have small family business - just my husband and his father.  We had "key man" life insurance on father-in-law to protect our family and family business should anything happen to our family patriarch.  While dealing with health emergencies of our oldest daughter, our life insurance lapsed due to nonpayment of premium.  We were told by insurance company we could reinstate policy - just complete their reinstatement form and if approved, we would be good to go.  

Father-in-law completed insurance reinstatement form answering questions the same as he had for our auto insurance and commercial building insurance that had also expired due to late payment of premium "no, nothing has changed since I was last insured with you, payment was just late due to family emergencies".  (Our daughter was hospitalized 9 times within 2 1/2 years time period, going through the mail was very low priority as we tried to get a diagnosis for what was happening to her).  Reinstatement was approved on all three insurance policies (three different companies). Letter from life insurance company confirming reinstatement and stating amount due and then the letter confirming payment received and that policy was reinstated mentioned nothing about this insurance company choosing to start two year deniability period again upon reinstatement.  Four months later, my father-in-law passed away.  

The life insurance company we depended on to be our safety net when we lost 50% of our workforce will not pay.  As a family and small business owners we are going bankrupt.  Our home is in foreclosure because we needed this safety net and were counting on when we no longer had our leader.  Insurance company does not legally have to disclose deniability period which seems incredible to me.  So, legally, we have been robbed by the very company we paid for 8 years to protect us.

Can anyone give me a suggestion as to how to handle this?  I appreciate your thoughts, thank you

by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on May. 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I'm sorry, No idea. Could a lawyer help? Idk??

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Sorry for your loss. I would contact a Lawyer about this.

shortyshorts25
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I wish i had some ideas too. I'm sorry

Quoting goddess99:

I'm sorry, No idea. Could a lawyer help? Idk??

11yrdiff
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Contact your State Department of Insurance and file an appeal.  Explain the situation and include any written documentation you have pertaining to your situation.  Do not take no for an answer. 

steph2728
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM

You need to contact a lawyer whi deals with insurance companies,   Contact any company you can to stiop forclosure.  there are several companies who can help you. You can also try refinancing your home.  As for your buisness i am sorry to say, Maybe it is time to sell your buisness.  I know that may not be an option for you considering everything you are going through.  As far as I know insurance companies give you a lapeseamount of time to pay. Contact a lawyer!! This will be your best defense. Get all the documents you have together from the time of lapese to the time of deniable coverage. 

Your doughter is ill and they still can't find out what is wrong with her?  I am not sure where you live but  Dallas Children's Medical center is one of the best in the country, If she is not covered by insurance they can still see her and put her under a different type of insurance. 

Best of Luck to you!  If there is anything I can do to help let me know. 

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Id contact a law who specializes in will, life insurance and the such.
Praying you can get a free consultation with one and you have a case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MySweetChild
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. I do know that all life insurance policies have a 2 year constestability clause, however this was a reinstatement so I am not sure about how that works. I would definitely speak to a lawyer.
averagemomof3
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts.  My daughter is great now - finally diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic, thank God for them!  Legally, the insurance company is correct.  They did NOT have to disclose that they choose (this is not an industry standard, just something this particular insurance company chooses to do) to restart the deniability period.  And what's worse, there is not a human being involved that cares that they have put my family into bankruptcy.  They truly, just do not care -  I can't believe I put my family in this situation . . . I'm sure we will be fine, but it is hard to picture right now. Thank you all for your responses.  I am thinking about trying to start a petition at change.org to see if it will make a difference . . . probably not. 

averagemomof3
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Thank you -  I thought this might be useless since legally the insurance company has completely covered itself.  Have you ever dealt with this department and if so, was it helpful?

splatz
by Sarah on May. 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I have no advice. I'm sorry you are going through this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)