Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

*UPDATE* help! cooking ribs in the oven?

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 16 Replies
I was never taught how to cook. Can someone help? How do u cook ribs in the oven? What do u spice them with?
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angelanscalf89
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM
You can use any seasonings or sauces that you want. Df boils them before he bakes them he says it maks them more tender im not sure though thats one thing I always let him cook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1squishysmom
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I am sure that there are many ways to make them. I bake baby backs in the oven at 200-220 degrees, covered with foil, for several hours (maybe 5 hours, but check after 3), then broil them for a short time with bbq sauce.They just fall apart and melt in your mouth. I make country style ribs in the crock pot. What ever you do, cook them slowly. Trying to make them quickly makes them tough. I'll try to find a link to a recipe I would use. 

JessT25
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Thanks a bunch. Does it really take that long?
1squishysmom
by on May. 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Quoting JessT25:

I used to boil them 1st, then bake them at a higher temp for a shorter time, but the flavor is lost in the boiling water and they aren't nearly as tender. I have been making these for MANY years and would highly recommend baking them slowly, but you can try boiling them 1st to see how you like them.

Just do me a favor and the next time you make them, start them really early and slow bake them. You will be so glad you did! 

Good luck! Hope they're yummy!

Alta2008
by on May. 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Longer is better....

Quoting JessT25:

baquick
by on May. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM
This is exactly what I do :-) you can also marinate them like I do at work. Jack Daniels makes an awesome marinade. Pretty much anything you want- throw it on! Salt, pepper, cumin, taco seasoning, fajita seasoning, chili powder if you want spice, any meat rub you have.... You can mix your dry ingredients and rub it on or sprinkle it across. (I prefer rub, it's more consistent). Worchestire sauce (however its spelled) is always good.

Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes and until internal temp is 145. It might still be tough, so if you want, let it go a bit farther. I boil mine first with onions, garlic, shallots, celery and carrots for about 20 minutes Then bake.

Eta: I have time and oven temp for convection. At 350 in an electric or gas home oven let it go at least an hour. But internal temp MUST be 145. Slower really is better. You can drop the temp to 300 and let it go all day if you want. Just remember to bast it with it's juices regularly or add marinade or BBQ sauce. I usually add more sauce about 15 minutes before its done.

Quoting Angelanscalf89:

You can use any seasonings or sauces that you want. Df boils them before he bakes them he says it maks them more tender im not sure though thats one thing I always let him cook.
Aamy
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Yes. The longer you cook them the more tender they will be.I only use pork ribs, more meat and more fat. The fat will help keep them moist.

Quoting JessT25:

famiglia_bella
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I rub them with smoked paprika + a little cayenne + salt + pepper.  I usually cook them at 325 for 1.5 to 2 hours.  I make a homemade bbq with mustard, honey, worcestershire, brown sugar, and vinegar.  My momma was an excellent cook.  EXCELLENT.

JessT25
by on May. 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM
You cut them after theyre cooked?
JessT25
by on May. 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM
What if u dont have a pan big enough?

Quoting Aamy:

Yes. The longer you cook them the more tender they will be.I only use pork ribs, more meat and more fat. The fat will help keep them moist.

Quoting JessT25:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)