Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would you confront a bully ?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was reading a Stir article about a mom who was arrested for assaulting an 11yo girl who was bullying and hitting her daughter.

In all honesty, if the school didnt do anything about it, I may want to talk to the kid myself, but I would never assault or lay hands on them.

Would you confront the child who was bullying/hitting your child, if the school did nothing about it? 

by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

In a hot second!! You can confront a child without saying totally unnesesary words and actions. Just be responsible and firm

emaylerocks76
by on May. 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Yes. I have done such a thing.  I was at the pier one day with my family and we were hanging with dad while he was fishing.  One of my boys began to play with another child who was quite pushy and used foul language.  My son kept running to me when the child got too rough or mouthy.  He asked him right in front of me why he kept doing that and I finally said "Because you are cursing and you need to stop. Now, go away!"  That child ran to his father who, in turn, said to his (about) six year old son: "Well, you shouldn't be talking like that to people."

jessie1973
by New Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I did after my daughter contiually received threating Facebook msg's. I actually told her I was going to speak to her parents as my daughter was responding appropriately to the rude threatning messages. That was right after I asked her via Facebook messages if she kissed her mother with her filthy mouth!!
Pammi86
by Pamela on May. 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I would talk to the parent, not the child!

MichelleMc
by on May. 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I sure would confront them if I saw it ( my child or another child )verbally, never physically. I would never touch the child, except to pull a child off another if they were physically hurting another, but after getting them apart, I wouldn't touch them again. If I hadn't seen it, I would get others involved ( teacher, principal & parents ). 

judi111
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM

No, I would go to the school district.

Actually - I have when I worked at a school. Then the kid lied and said that I pinched him!!  

T-Branch
by on May. 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
If I caught the child in the act of hitting my child, yrs, I just might put my hands on her
villagemamma
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I would never put hands on someone elses kid but i absolutly would say something about it. and i would make sure to say something to their parents about it as well and let them know that i did speak to their child. Sometimes all a bully needs is to be called out for what they are being. These days kids know that bullying is wrong. but most of them dont think of themselves as such until they are called out.

honeydewmommy
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Personally what good is it to confront the child?? They should have spoken with the parents instead. 

Reina13
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Were there any reprecussions for you doing that? Did the school or anyone talk to you about approaching a student?

Quoting Stelley:

I marched up to the top of the bleachers at our district stadium to tell a boy and a girl that if they didn't stop teasing and bothering my daughter, I would report them to the police for harrassment. 

We'd already involved the school and he'd stop bothering her for a bit and then start up again.  I let the band director know exactly what I'd done too.  Now the principal, crisis counselor, and band directors are monitoring him and his friends very closely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)