Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

To use a leash or not to use a leash?

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 109 Replies

I am beginning to see a lot more moms who have little ones with restraints/leashes on. I wonder if it is because of the warmer weather and more people are out and about.  I never really paid much attention until I seen several of them this weekend.

I can see the benefit of it, especially if you are out and there are a lot of people, but personally, I never used one.

Did you or do you use a restraint on your child when you are out in public?

by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM
4 moms liked this

Nope.  I actually TAUGHT them to stay by my side. I had three under the age of 3 and NEVER felt the need to treat my kids like a pet.  It takes a lot of work, but it's part of parenting. 

NV_Mom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't use it but I am not opposed to those who feel it is necessary.

Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I never used one. But don't see a problem with it either.

LilliesValley
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

No I treat my child like a child and not an animal. What other people do with their kids is their business but I will freely admit that this is one of the few parenting things that I will definately look down my nose at. I usually try not to be very judgmental but I saw so many of these in one town where I worked at the Walgreens. The parents literally tugged at the leash like you would tug at a dog's leash to get them to go where you want and bark out commands in a similar fashion. I guess it's just left a bad taste in my mouth.

whatmynameagain
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I have 3 very active mobile kids even as toddlers I never felt the need to leash them. I taught them sit in the cart or walk, holding the cart or stroller, if they ran off they would be put in the cart/ stroller with the seatbelt, after warnings .they didn't like that so they quickly learned to stay with me and not run off.:) I've also bribed them with snacks so they sit in the cart while I finished shopping.
I do not know peoples reasons for using a toddler leash ,but I do think it is misused a lot, with the pulling the child instead if teaching them to be safe and stay with the adults. As long as used safely I don't care if others use it, but it was never for me or my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on May. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I have.

MichelleMc
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Never needed to. My son was never a runner. He was taught to not run off. 

poohbearkfc
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is a child not an animal. So no never.
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I did not use one but usually kept them in the cart as long as possible then they get to that I wanna get down stage.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM

No way. I personally don't like seeing that but everyone has their own methods and reasons I guess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN