Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Wheel of consequences

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:51 AM
  • 8 Replies

So i was curious about what you ladies thought about this punishment method...

Growing up my parents had a "wheel of consequences" Basically it was a giant wheel with a variety of punishments all of equal severeness (run 5 laps around the block, write definitions from the dictionary, ect) I grew up in a house with 5 brothers and sisters so my parents used this method to solve all the minor ridiculous stuff (bickering, minor back talk, failure to do chores, just day to day kid stuff).

What do you ladies think of this method. Right now i only have 1 four year old dd and so its pretty easy to deal with issues but for mommas with multiples kids would this ever be something you would do to help take some of the stress off you when it came to punishments?

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Reina13
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM

So essentially, when a consequence was warranted, you or your parent would spin this wheel and whatever it landed on, that was your consequence?

Did the consequences fit the infraction? How do you feel about it?

Were consequences ever too harsh for the infraction. For example: grounded for a week for bickering?

rbailey2414
by on May. 21, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I wouldnt....

Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM

How did it work for you guys?

villagemamma
by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Yup that was the basic idea.

They were all minor things that would be ended within the hour. such as no tv for the next hr, run or miss out on your favo tv show, 5 laps, copy however many words from the dictonary, that kind of thing. The were all small punishments that fit the small crimes. As a kid it was annoying because ofcourse there were certain ones that we hated more then others but it definitely made things easier so we felt that it was all equal when it came to punishment.

Quoting Reina13:

So essentially, when a consequence was warranted, you or your parent would spin this wheel and whatever it landed on, that was your consequence?

Did the consequences fit the infraction? How do you feel about it?

Were consequences ever too harsh for the infraction. For example: grounded for a week for bickering?

CafeMom Tickers
villagemamma
by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM

For us it worked pretty good. There were 5 of us and with the largest age gap being 10 years. My parents both worked from home so for them it helped cut down on the tattling and the constantly having to come up with some new punishment. We would get caught doing something, be told to spin the wheel (sometimes if it was something we had been getting in trouble for often they would make us spin more then once so we did multiple tasks). All the punishments on the wheel were things that any of us could do and they were all equal in severity and were something that could easily be completed within the hour.

Quoting Janet:

CafeMom Tickers
occumommy
by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I don`t think i would use it. Our punishments were always based on the "crime". Like name calling ment sitting in front of each other and complimenting each other for 10 minutes. There were 6 of us. The punishments were always the same but for varying lengths.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

If it works that's what matters.

Quoting villagemamma:

For us it worked pretty good. There were 5 of us and with the largest age gap being 10 years. My parents both worked from home so for them it helped cut down on the tattling and the constantly having to come up with some new punishment. We would get caught doing something, be told to spin the wheel (sometimes if it was something we had been getting in trouble for often they would make us spin more then once so we did multiple tasks). All the punishments on the wheel were things that any of us could do and they were all equal in severity and were something that could easily be completed within the hour.

Quoting Janet:

SlapItHigh
by on May. 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM
I don't think it's a good method but I'm not a fan of made-up consequences.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN