Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Birthday Debate- Update

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM
  • 7 Replies

I know that there have been several posts about giving gifts for birthdays and how much you should spend but I am having an internal debate. My son was invited to one of his friends birthday parties. They have been friends for about 3 years. My situation is this:

The boy is being raised by his grandmother who is on a tight budget. I would like to get him something that is nice that I know he would enjoy but would not receive otherwise. But I do not want to "show up" his grandmother who is doing the best that she can to provide him with the things that needs. I do not what to make her feel bad in any way because she is doing a wonderful job in raising him to be an outstanding person.

I have even thought about getting movie tickets or something along that line so they could both go out and enjoy an evening together.

Any thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated.

I talked to his grandmother and she was very humble about my idea. What we have decided to do is let my son pick out a small gift for him and do movie tickets along with a gift card to the theater so that their snacks are covered as well :) After talking to his grandmother I found out that it has been over a year since he has been to see a movie and it has been over 5 years for her. She is excited to have a night out and enjoy the company of her grandson. I want to thank everyone for the input.

by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AhDrah
by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I think the movie theater gift idea is cute... that way it gives the grandma who is struggling herself a nice treat.

MichelleMc
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I like the idea of something they could do together. That way you aren't taking her "thunder" so to speak. 

Maybe like movie theater tickets & a gift card to somewhere to eat fun. I know that I would enjoy that because that is me being able to give to the child, and I know where it came from, and still not taking my thunder.

I think that is a great idea.  I also would maybe do that seperate. Like at another time maybe, stop by & give that to her, etc. Maybe not give at the party. Or give to HER, give him maybe a card with $5 in it or something. 

natural_s
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Since they have been friends for three years do you have a way of contacting the grandmother and getting her input on the gift that you would like to get her grandson? I think if you reached out to her and asked her if it was okay, she probably wouldn't mind and it will show a great amount of respect and consideration towards her feelings.

Besides that I think your other thought about getting something that they could use to spend time together is a good and cute idea as well

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I was thinking movies tickets before I even read that far down.

butterbean491
by on May. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree, movie tickets are a nice idea. If you and grandmother know each other on a friend level then just ask her. Tell her you understand that its hard and would like to get him something extra nice. If you don't feel that comfortable then I would just go with the tickets. I would have loved to go the movies with my grandmother as a gift.
splatz
by Sarah on May. 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM
I think the movie tickets sound great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HappyMommyToo
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Thats a great idea..the zoo is fun too..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)