Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I didn't know what to say

Posted by on May. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM
  • 6 Replies

My husbands cousins daughter (7) asked me if I was Jewish, I told her no and she said "Then how are you even apart of this family" I didn't know what to say! I was floored to say the least. I know my husbands parents don't mind that I'm not Jewish. But now I'm worried about what the rest of the family thinks. I am learning about the Jewish faith but I'm undecided about converting.  What should I say if it comes up again?

by on May. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
goddess99
by Michelle on May. 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Just say you don't have to be jewish to be a part of a family. Who cares what any of them think. You do what You want.

kellysparkles
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Just say you married in - she's 7 so she's old enough to understand how a marriage works.

DH's 7 y/o niece likes to point out that both me and her mom are fat so we must be sisters :(

Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM

The truth. You married your husband who was Jewish. If your husband and his parents don't care don't worry about it. You don't change your faith for another person. You change it because you believe.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Wow, kids are something.

If you feel you might need to address that topic if it comes up again about not being Jewish but marrying a Jew, I would just tell the truth and say because you two are in love and that is what makes a family a family.

I personally would not even care what anyone else might think because obviously your husband did not care to much to what his family opinions were if he married you and as long as their thoughts are not interfering with your marriage then just continue to build your family with your husband.

SlapItHigh
by on May. 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Tell her that you are a part of the family by marriage.

splatz
by Sarah on May. 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM
This.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Tell her that you are a part of the family by marriage.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN