Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you bring a gift?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:12 PM
  • 54 Replies

We recently met a couple and have been invited to their home for a dinner party. My husband overheard me talking to my mom about what hostess gift I should bring. When I got off the phone, he asked me why I always bring a gift to a get together. I told him that I was raised to do so as a small token of appreciation. He thinks it's crazy to do still that in this day and age.

Do you bring the host/hostess a gift when you are invited to their home or am I just holding on to an antiquated form of etiquette?

by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
villagemamma
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM

If i am going to an event or more formal get together yes but if it is just my random friend calling to see if we wanted to come relax and have a play date or something i dont usually.

Depends on reason for get together

how well i know someone

and whether or not they will be providing food.

SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't bring a gift but I'll ask what I can bring or just bring a bottle of wine or something like that.

whoodathunk
by Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I usually do.  Since reading an article about a woman who was irritated by the token gifts, I try to bring a food item or something that is disposible such as a candle or dishtowel so as not to burden people with my gifts.  

dtm1491
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually do.I hit up the bakery for some fresh bread or a small dessert tray.

amandac4s
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I still think bringing a bottle of wine as gift even though it's not like a big token but it still a token of appreciation. I honestly bring food or drink with me as my token of appreciation because I would be too afraid I got something they don't like!

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I don't bring a gift but I'll ask what I can bring or just bring a bottle of wine or something like that.

vkennedy86409
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
When I'm invited for any type of meal or gathering I at least bring flowers for the Host/Hostess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
For a formal event i would but my friends and I aren't formal in our get togethers in fact some friends we just waltz in each others house w out knocking we're that informal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM

If I was coming over for a dinner party, I would only bring food or wine ONLY if I knew they drank. Like wine coming to this house would be useless. I don't drink anything, and for sure not wine, and hubby drinks beer or Jim Beam, LOL. We would offer it back to you though :) 

If someone brought me a gift, I would feel totally out of place and not comfortable with them. I would feel they didn't feel comfortable with coming to my house. Like we were the strange "boss's wife" or odd person you were coming to, so you brought a gift over, because it wasn't a comfortable gathering. They didn't know what to do or how we were, and brought something. If they brought food, like a dessert is best, that I would feel comfortable with, though I would again tell them, there was surely no need. 

If it was a new home, new baby or something, sure a gift. Otherwise, no gift for sure. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM

If I'm invited to someone's home who I do not know well I bring something.

Pam_8787
by Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM
This. If its a special event, yes. If its just hanging out, no.

Quoting villagemamma:

If i am going to an event or more formal get together yes but if it is just my random friend calling to see if we wanted to come relax and have a play date or something i dont usually.

Depends on reason for get together

how well i know someone

and whether or not they will be providing food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)