Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you bring a gift?

Posted by   + Show Post

We recently met a couple and have been invited to their home for a dinner party. My husband overheard me talking to my mom about what hostess gift I should bring. When I got off the phone, he asked me why I always bring a gift to a get together. I told him that I was raised to do so as a small token of appreciation. He thinks it's crazy to do still that in this day and age.

Do you bring the host/hostess a gift when you are invited to their home or am I just holding on to an antiquated form of etiquette?

by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
sdbcoach
by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Still do. It's always appreciated by the hostess. Those "old" etiquette things are the ones we need to keep going. We, as a society lose out when we give up all the "manners" for what people think of as Today. Yes, change happens, but just being nice doesn't ever.

Diane1223
by Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM

sometimes...........

mumamy
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Always. If I dont know them usually wine or a small table sized bunch of flowers. If I know them it will be something fitting to the event or something relating to what is going on in their lives.

sjoshea
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I always offer to bring a food item, e.g. salad, dessert, etc.  If the hostess says, "no thank you", I always bring a bottle of wine and/or flowers.  I have never thought of this as anything other than being respectful and proper etiquette.

AuntPammie
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I bring a gift.  It may be an antiquated form of etiquette, but don't think it should go out of style.  If only we held onto more principles of etiquette.

kattcooper
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I bring a bottle of wine to any dinner parties we go to! :)
LAXmom21
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Wine or dessert always
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I always bring something ... I always ask if I can contribute to the dinner (like bring dessert or something) if not than the gift it can be flowers or a bottle of wine.  Doesn't have to be a big thing just a token of thanks for the invite.

QueenAtargatis
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Yeah. Wine, a dessert, bread, flowers.

I'm a big gifter, though. I give everyone gifts all the time, even for no reason at all. =]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM
This. I will bring wine but not consider it a gift really or offer to cook a dish

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I don't bring a gift but I'll ask what I can bring or just bring a bottle of wine or something like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)