Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

5 year old in a stroller

Posted by   + Show Post
My ds is 5 years old, we live with my mil and every time she wants to take him for a walk she wants to put him in the stroller. I personally do not like this, I think he is too old and I do not want him to get used to this to the point that he still wants to sit in one at 6,7,8. I have not said anything to her because whenever dh or I tell her we don't want her doing something specific with our kids she gets pissed off and acts like she is right and we are wrong. What do you think, is 5 years old too old for a stroller? Is this a worth while convo, possible argument to have with her?
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
villagemamma
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM

ya my dd4 hasnt used a stroller in almost a year, 5 is way to big.

MansfieldMama
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I agree.  If you get rid of it, MIL won't be able to use the stroller any longer.

Quoting MistressMinerva:

Get rid of the stroller.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jun. 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree 5 is too old! Speak up!

sdbcoach
by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Some how you need to have a heart to heart with your MIL and discuss the fact that you may have differences in parenting ideas, but you respect her opinions. You're open to hearing what she has to say but the final decision is up to you as his parent. Explain that you both have the child's interest at heart. She raised her children as best she could when it was her turn as the mother. We all come from different places and today is a different age. You could also google it! Find an article she could read - just happen to leave it on a side table in the living room. Then talk about it.

MIL power comes from knowing that you don't or won't get in confrontation with her. Take your power back by being respectful but firm. If it gets into a "fight" you can say that you simply would like her to think about it from your point of view and perhaps we can discuss it later when we are both calm. Turn around and walk away. Let her "think."

You may be living with her. Respect comes from allowing each person to be true to themselves. Her children are grown adults and have chosen how to be in the world today and with a significant other to make their own family unit.  Perhaps your DH could put in a word here. Step up and deal - with kindness and love.

SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I personally think it's no big deal.  I wouldn't do it either but it's not worth the convo IMO but on the other hand....I wouldn't blame you if you felt it was wortht he convo.  Go with your gut.

Colter
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I think it is too old.  We phased both our kids out at about the age of 4.  

We lived in Germany & Belgium for many years.  There it is common to see very large (approx. age 5-8 years) children in strollers.  We actually joked about seeing so many lazy kids!

MJuliet
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I HAVE THE SAME MIL!
Dear God that woman.
I tell her that I don't want our children to have soda " WHY ITS NOT GOING TO KILL THEM"
She acts like if it's not going to kill them, they can do it or have it.

My advice is to throw the stroller away and say it was stolen! lol

Truluv4ever
by Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM
There is the girl in my daughter's school, she is in the same grade as my kiddo(1st.), same age 7 yrs. Old and when her Dad picks her up after School he brings her stroller and she rides in it all the home. I think 7 might be a little too old for this but it's also not my place to judge~
mp0264
by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 6:26 AM

By the time they are 5, the stroller should be retired. You need to address this with your MIL.MIL's tend to overstep their boundaries. So just let her know that with your child, strollers aren't acceptable. If she continues to disobey your wishes, that's when it should turn into a fight or argument.

mylilprincesses
by Member on Jun. 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I would. my oldest is 5 and if she doesn't listen and run off then she goes into the stroller for her safety.. but no I wouldn't do it every time.. I would give her the chance to behave and walk beside me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN