Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Friends

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 17 Replies
I wasn't really sure where to post this so I'm just going to do a general post. Ok so we have some friends that have 3 kids, 2 are hers and one is his. Her kids go to their dads every other weekend and they have his daughter all th time. For the past month every other weekend when they don't have her kids we have kept his daughter. I don't have a problem with it, she's good but they leave her here for hours on end. She'll be here for 16 plus hours. I have stuff I want and need to do that I don't feel like I can with her here. Also anytime we go out to eat w or wo kids they always want to come back to our house and just sit and watch tv. We've never been invited to their house. I just kinda feel like a babysitter. Last night my daughter had a slumber party for her bday we had 5 girls spend the night all the rest left before noon but she is still here.

I don't know how to handle this I don't want to seem like a bitch but it is expensive having another kid all the time and I don't want any hurt feelings . Any suggestions?
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
villagemamma
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I fell your pain. i have a friend that constantly puts me in this position also. I finally was just honest and upfront with her that i was feeling taken advantage of and she started making more of an effort to not just expect me to watch her kid. Her daughter isnt at all a bad kid it is just inconvenient to have another child to add to the mix

rosboro5
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I know she isn't bad but my kids don't get to do their own thing either cause she's here. My kids have never been asked to their house. I just feel like I'm a free sitter. Last time we had her her dad went to bale hay and his girlfriend stayed home and took a nap. I was like really I've had her for 2 days and you took a nap. I guess they think that because I don't work I have free time to do this. I just don't know how to handle it without hurting feelings
rosboro5
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Still no sign of her dad or his girlfriend, neither of us have heard from them since this morning.  She has been here since 11 oclock yesterday.  My daughter asked me, ______ wants to know if you know when her dad is going to be here and I said I have no idea. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Your going to have to come right out and tell them. I don't see any other way around it.
Pammi86
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Its always tough when it comes to your friends and their kids!

MJP76
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I kinda think its weird they are just dropping her off without telling you or asking you about the hours she's going to be with you.

id both, set a time she has to be picked up by, and also charge for babysitting (or at the very least charge for her meals).

nelsjb
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell them how you feel and you don't like been taken advantage of, put your foot down, too bad if their feelings get hurt, They didn't care about yours when they just do as they please.

rosboro5
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM
They finally text me about 6 and said they were going to come get her after they went and got something to eat. They picked her up about 8
goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I agree.

Quoting Janet:

Your going to have to come right out and tell them. I don't see any other way around it.

SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:12 AM

It will be awkward but you should just be straight forward with them.  Let them know it's too much and there are things you need to be able to get done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)