Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How to get them to stop using potty humor

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

My 7yo and 9yo grandsons are living us now, and some of their bad behavior that was allowed by their mom has been easy to correct. But one thing that hasn't is their affinity for potty humor. Making comments about "butts," underwear, "farting," "pee," thinking it's all funny, and doing such things as deliberately shaking their bottoms at each other, passing gas loudly, pulling on each others underwear, and urinating on the water meter outside--it's more than I can stand! I cannot BELIEVE they were allowed to act like this, although their mother did not give them love or discipline,, which we give. Do you have any advice on how to get my children to behave.

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I would just tell them its gross and not something we say at certain times! But also realize they are boys!

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this is pretty common boy talk.

kim8934
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM

stop blaming the mother.  Most boys need to test the limitations.  FYI, I gave my boys love & discipline and they both went through that phase.

MichelleMc
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Sounds like totally normal behavior for a 7 & 9 year old, especially when they are together. A boy alone & boys together are totally different. Are they doing this in a restaurant at dinner in public? Or just around the house?

If just around the house, you really need to let up. The more you freak out about it, the more it is going to be funny. Also, they are living with you, you don't seem at all caring towards their mother or their upbringing, so all of that, and what they are going thru with not getting to see mom alot, you going all the way extreme you will change to my way, isn't the way to go. 

If it is out of control in public, they aren't behaving in other ways, then try being consistant, try not to make this a huge you need to change to my way or You mom might have allowed but you can't here type thing. 

JoanahLee
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Same way you correct any other bad behavior. Consistent discipline. Choose a consequence (maybe $1 off allowance, time out, loss of game time... anything you can dock). Explain the consequence to them and get them every. single. time. 

Mine are younger, but we broke our 3 year old of running around singing about 'poo poo' by making him sit on the toilet for 5 minuets every time because 'we only talk about poo if we need to use the restroom, so you must need to poop.'

Annawest
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I have a 6 and 7 year old boy here with me.  The potty talk DRIVES me crazy.  I'm so tired of burping, farting, and generally yucky boy noises.  I realize they are boys.  I realize that these things happen, but every time it does, I remind them that I am a lady and boys shouldn't act like that in front of a lady.   It's slowly getting better.  Granted I still hear them talking about farting, burping and  all that on their own, but if it's not around me.  I'm good.  Perhaps try that angle with your grandsons.

arwalters
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM
My ds is 4 and likes to make jokes about poopoo. B/c forbidding it completely would make it more tempting I give him a time and place to do it. He's made it a game we play when only he and I are in the car but not to play it around other people, even kids. His behavior is not as extreme as ur grandsons I realize and b/c of his age it may be easier in my case but maybe if they have a place/time where they can be allowed to goof off, within reason of course (not peeing on the water meter), and make it clear that is only time their behavior will tolerated, maybe it'll help and hopefully they grow out of it soon
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)