Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Losing your temper...?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 17 Replies

How often do you lose your temper, shout and/ or yell at your kids?  Is it a daily occurance in your house?  

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I try not to yell daily. But that's about all I can say lol.

rswynne73
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I yell more than I should.  Something that is helping me keep things in perspective is this blog.  The take home?  My most important audience is my family (kids and husband).  If I have only 1% of patience left, it should be spent on them before anyone else.

http://theorangerhino.com

MJP76
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I lose my temper when they piss me off, which isn't often. I raise my voice, I rarely "yell"

sarah824
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I yell more than I should and I always feel bad when I do it, but I am getting better with taking a deep breath and calming down.

MagicTemptation
by New Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM

We have 6 kids in the household. So yelling is common. Yelling in anger, not so often. I will yell "fall in" when I need to talk to them, or have them come for dinner etc... When one of us yells fall in, the kids know to come into the living room, line up oldest to youngest and no talking. Then dad or I address them, letting them know what we are about to do or what to get ready for.  That saves us a lot of frustration so we don't lose out tempers often. Their dad is a big yeller. I used to be. But I have learned if I lower my voice they have to be quiet to hear me. 

BannerElkHogans
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I usually hollar ........but it's because I am legally Deaf an I refuse to wear Hearing Aids because of the torment an cruelty I got as a child having to wear them :(

arwalters
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Definitely not daily, I try to stay calm most of the time
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I raise my voice too often but I am working on that! I am a louder person so I do not realize it sometimes!

Scinn
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Not often at all, actually.  We have a system called "self time out".  The kids can request to be put in time out, the yare allowed to take a book or some quiet toys and go into my room for 20 minutes.  For that 20 minutes they are not bothered by anyone, myself included.  When the timer goes off they come out and either go right back to playing or want to sit down and talk to me or my husband.  

The same works for the adults.  Our "self time out" consists of ear phones in the ears.  That is our 20 minutes of "leave me alone unless someone is dying or the house is burning to the ground" and they respect the ear phones the same way we respect their self time out.  It actually works really well and it's not uncommon for someone to be in the middle of a conversation or arguement, feel themself losing control and immediately say "I am taking a time out" and literally walk away mid sentence.  We try very hard to respect that and allow the person 20 minutes to gather themself together before continuing the conversation in a calm and rational manner.

LDavis33
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I yell more than I should.  Not daily, but usually three or four times a week for sure.  It used to be everyday, but I've been working on trying to control my temper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)