Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Death and the afterlife...what do you believe?

Well, I am a christian and lately this has been weighing a lot on my mind. I'm only 22 so you would think Death would be the last thing on my mind! I believe that when a person dies, they either go to heaven or hell, depending on if they have been saved. I also believe in the Rapture and the Tribulation that takes place after the rapture.

When I think about myself dying and going to heaven...it's just something that I find hard to think about. It scares me a little for some reason...even though I know for a fact that I will be going to heaven. Maybe it scares me because I have so many friends and a few family members that are not saved I guess.

Anyway, I was just wondering what other CafeMoms believe.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Replies (41-49):
DragonInfinity
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I believe the same as you. Those who are saved and lived a Christ like life, will go to heaven and be with our Lord. Those you don't go to hell.

And I do believe that everything will come to pass that Revalations predicts.

Only once we surrender to the Mystery can it reveal itself to us!!!

DragonInfinity
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Your body will decompose and return to dust.
Quoting SlapItHigh:

Your spirit?  What about your body?

Quoting trisha903:

I know that scares me to I know I'm saved and when I die my spirit will be with Jesus but it still scares me

SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Are you Christian?  Christians believe that you don't just have a body, you ARE a body.  And that your glorified body accompanies you to the Heavenly Kingdom with Jesus Christ.  Jesus himself also has a body as it is described repeatedly after He resurrects from the dead and while he is ascending into Heaven.

Quoting DragonInfinity:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting trisha903:

I know that scares me to I know I'm saved and when I die my spirit will be with Jesus but it still scares me

jmobashrn
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Did you even read my post?  I'm curious about if you believe in a higher power or not in addition to no belief in an afterlife, since you stated that you do not consider yourself an atheist.  Atheism is NOT a religion but a term to indicate a lack of belief in god...

But don't worry about replying with another two sentence post.  I'm not that curious, lol.

Quoting MistressMinerva:

I don't classify myself with any religion. I don't believe in after life.

Quoting jmobashrn:

If you say you are an atheist, all you're really saying is that you do not believe in a higher being.  Conversely, those who are theists believe in a higher being of some sort, but may not necessarily belong to an organized religion.  For example: All Christians are theists, but not all theists identify as Christians.  Because theist and atheist terminology is like this, the beliefs can vary widely.  Being agnostic is a given for any logical person unless you 100% believe there's no way you could be wrong (this viewpoint stifles critical thinking).  Agnosticism refers to knowledge rather than belief.  I would consider myself an agnostic atheist, but the label is overkill.  Atheism rarely comes up in my daily life and I hardly think about it.

Just curious - are you an atheist or theist that does not believe in an afterlife, or do you classify agnostic?

Quoting MistressMinerva:

I wouldn't say I'm an Atheist, but I believe when your gone your gone and nothing happens.

Quoting jmobashrn:

I'm an atheist.  I don't have clear cut views on death/afterlife, and I think there's absolutely no way for anyone to know for sure.

For the most part I believe that our lives work in a fashion similar to animals in that we live, we die, and our bodies decompose for the circle of life, Lion King style.  I think this is the only life that we have, and it's our job to find our own purpose in life in order to be fulfilled.  I do not believe in a higher power, a judgment on past actions, or a dichotomy of heaven and hell.

DragonInfinity
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Yes, I am Christian. But I do not believe that your body will be with Jesus. Just your soul/spirit, our body was made from the dust of the earth and will return to dust when we die.
Quoting SlapItHigh:

Are you Christian?  Christians believe that you don't just have a body, you ARE a body.  And that your glorified body accompanies you to the Heavenly Kingdom with Jesus Christ.  Jesus himself also has a body as it is described repeatedly after He resurrects from the dead and while he is ascending into Heaven.

Quoting DragonInfinity:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting trisha903:

SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Oh wow, it's amazing how many new ideas there are these days within the over 30,000 different Protestant denominations!  For the first 2,000 years of Christianity, all Christians recognized this essential Christian doctrine that we are our bodies and that our glorified bodies will be resurrected.  There is so much lost without realizing this.

Quoting DragonInfinity:

Yes, I am Christian. But I do not believe that your body will be with Jesus. Just your soul/spirit, our body was made from the dust of the earth and will return to dust when we die.
Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting DragonInfinity:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting trisha903:

DragonInfinity
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Huh? How is there so much lost?
Quoting SlapItHigh:

Oh wow, it's amazing how many new ideas there are these days within the over 30,000 different Protestant denominations!  For the first 2,000 years of Christianity, all Christians recognized this essential Christian doctrine that we are our bodies and that our glorified bodies will be resurrected.  There is so much lost without realizing this.

Quoting DragonInfinity:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting DragonInfinity:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting trisha903:

tiggzzz
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Death is a part of life and you can't predict it.  It's natural for people to be scared about dying, but that doesn't mean that you have to stop living either. It is a very tough conversation with most people. I'm not one of them. I will talk about anything and everything. My hubby is 38 and has flat lined 3 times. He was in a horrific accident and didn't want to live. Well, until we met. After we met, we waited a year before getting married. His entire life changed and now we live life to the fullest. And YES, God is a big part of our lives. Knowing this has taken the scare out of dying because we know we will be in good hands when the time comes.  And if your friends and family are not saved, it shouldn't matter. As long as they repent and take God and the Lord in their hearts, They will be in Heaven with you one day.  

Just because people don't go to church on a regular basis doesn't mean that they don't believe. Once they accept the Lord and God into their lives, they will be welcomed with arms open. 

Keep a Song in your Heart and a Smile on your face ! ! !angel

Diane1223
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I am Catholic, I believe in Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)