Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

If you have dogs. Are your dogs afraid of storms?

Posted by   + Show Post

We had bad storms all last night. It knocked our power out. The dogs are so afraid of storms!

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM

It must be common.

Quoting luvnature:

every dogs my family ever had when I was growing up were all terrified of storms. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Aww.  lol

Quoting 22donnas:

my dog rolls up in his blanket looks like a burrito on the floor by our bed.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM

The crate don't work for mine.

Quoting JodyLane555:

I am a dog parent and professional pet sitter. Many dogs get anxious when there are storms, some things that help are:

1mg Melatonin

The Thundershirt or other close fitting dog sweater work real well

Also if they have a crate to just close them in til the storm passes

Sometimes they just like their belly rubbed!

Gabrielle1982
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Growing up our dogs were.  The dog I have now isn't.  She's weird.

CafeMom Tickers
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Be glad she isn't afraid. It's a pain.

Quoting Gabrielle1982:

Growing up our dogs were.  The dog I have now isn't.  She's weird.

honeydewmommy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Petrefied, she comes running and will not leave ur lap or will literally get under the covers or go under the bed. 

Diane1223
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM
My dog is fine us with them, he just lays around or stays by us, as usual.
Venae
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM

We have a golden retriever mix and she's scared of storms - even if it's just raining, she gets shaky and wants to cling to me.  She's not afraid of fireworks, though.  My sister's dog is the complete opposite - storms OK, fireworks freak him out.

justdebbie67
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Quoting JodyLane555:

I am a dog parent and professional pet sitter. Many dogs get anxious when there are storms, some things that help are:

1mg Melatonin

Hi great advise I have something to add if you have the electric fencing take off their collar before the storm, my brittany we believe got a shock as we accidently left it on and she was in her crate during a nighttime storm and she almost died in the crate trying to get out of it (i found her head stuck between the bars) because she was trying to get out of it now she wont go near a crate. She shakes soo bad, i hear those close fitting sweaters do work so i will look into them, now she wont even go outside if it even looks like rain.. I feel so helpless cause I know she is scared and usually stuck to my side. I also heard benedryl works to but not sure how much to give a 40 lb dog.
JodyLane555
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Melatonin is better than benadryl. check with your vet about dosage. good advice about the collar. glad she was ok.

Quoting justdebbie67:

Quoting JodyLane555:

1mg Melatonin

Hi great advise I have something to add if you have the electric fencing take off their collar before the storm, my brittany we believe got a shock as we accidently left it on and she was in her crate during a nighttime storm and she almost died in the crate trying to get out of it (i found her head stuck between the bars) because she was trying to get out of it now she wont go near a crate. She shakes soo bad, i hear those close fitting sweaters do work so i will look into them, now she wont even go outside if it even looks like rain.. I feel so helpless cause I know she is scared and usually stuck to my side. I also heard benedryl works to but not sure how much to give a 40 lb dog.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)