Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Table food

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  • 10 Replies
My son is 10 months old and I've been wondering how to help him transition from baby food to table food. Are there some things anyone has found particularly good for this? How do I cut up/prepare what we have for dinner so he can eat it too? And how do I go about switching to table foods?
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I started slow and just cut up everything pretty small. Fruits were the 1st things I started with.

whatmynameagain
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Just cut up whatwe were eating really tiny and offered it to her. If veggie or fruit I made sure I cooked it really soft first. At first she ate a taste and didn't want more so just kept offering and she started trying more.When they are ready they'll eat it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Quoting whatmynameagain:

Just cut up whatwe were eating really tiny and offered it to her. If veggie or fruit I made sure I cooked it really soft first. At first she ate a taste and didn't want more so just kept offering and she started trying more.When they are ready they'll eat it.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Have you tried mashing a banana real good? That is a good first food.

nordicdeity
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Oh he will eat a banana un-mashed. But I more meant when should I get rid of the liquidy baby foods and replace them with the table food. This is the transition I'm having trouble with.
SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Have you looked into baby led weaning?
Junebaby18
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM
There is never any need to give purées. Just cut up small pieces of soft fruits and vegetables and place them on the tray in front of him. Steam the harder ones like carrots and broccoli before giving to him. My dd was eating porkchop, chicken and ground beef by 10 months with absolutely no teeth in her mouth.
MamaHens3
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I know with my kids I started with soft foods, noodle type foods and things that mush up easily. Dissolves easily, and their super spit can break down. If they got enough teeth, to mush some things enough to eat I made things small as can be that I knew would mush into nothing in no time. To this day I know my 22 month old daughter, youngest of my four kids still has super spit. An if she has foods she can't eat properly still. I cut them smaller, and it works. 

I remember with my first, the move to baby food to people food I was so scared. After that, I think by a year old my second and beyond kid were having cut in quater hot dog pieces. With meats is seeing how many teeth they had, if they could handle it etc. 

Flobrooks
by New Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I started from the beginning. Things like summer squash, carrots, other vegetables: steam them without seasonings, then either mash with a fork or easiest run thru a baby food grinder ( they are cheap) You can salt and pepper your own at the table. Do not begin with fruits as they are sweet and cause a craving for unnecessary sugar.  Later you can add fruits like bananas, unsweetned applesause, canned in own juice pears, etc. This gets the baby used to what you eat.  Do not give things like hot dogs, viennas, just beccause they seem soft, they can lodge in the throat.  Use real meat, run it thru a food processor, blender or the baby food grinder.  When they get teeth to chew, they can have small bits of meat, just not bite size chunks.

nordicdeity
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM

thank you everyone for your advice! it is all helpful and my mind is eased. good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)