Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Heart Attack Causes Man's Car Accident, But Police Ticket Him Anyway

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 8 Replies

Heart Attack Causes Man's Car Accident, But Police Ticket Him Anyway

by Maressa Brown

red light traffic intersectionIt's one thing to get into a car accident because you were drunk, texting, talking on the phone, or playing with your radio dial. It's quite another to end up hitting another vehicle at a traffic light because you had a heart attack. That's what happened to 20-year-old mechanical engineering student Dan Langley, who was headed to his friend's house on April 1, and after the minor accident, got out of his car, vomited, and then collapsed. An officer who responded gave Langley CPR, and Langley ended up getting a defibrillator implanted in his chest.

Thank goodness no one else was injured in the accident and Langley (who doesn't remember the accident) was fine, too, but I can imagine he was beside himself when he returned home to find three tickets for tailgating, unsafe operation of a motor vehicle, and reckless driving. What the ...?!

Talk about clueless. Did the officer who sent those tickets have absolutely no clue what happened? It sounds like it. When the Langleys appeared in court for the ticket -- yes, they had to endure all of this after already having to cope with the aftermath an incident that was stressful enough! -- Langley arrived in court with a note from his doctor, Dr. Harold Cotler, who believed the heart attack occurred before the accident, not vice-versa. The note read:

Please forgive Mr. Langley’s tickets due to his unfortunate experience of having a heart attack seconds prior to his car accident.

Ugh. The poor guy!! Given what he had been through and the fact that he had been hospitalized for 10 days was apparently enough for the court to show him mercy ... sort of. Two tickets were thrown out, but authorities chose to downgrade the third ticket from reckless driving to obstructing the passage of other vehicles, an offense that doesn't carry any points. Still, Langley had to pay a $133 fine.

His father, Chris Langley, had a brilliant response: "What's the charge? Criminal cardiac arrest?" For real!

Chris Langley went on to tell the local newspaper The Asbury Park Press:

We feel the system is just completely insensitive to something of this nature. How can you charge anyone with anything? Something’s wrong here, and it needs to be fixed. ... This could have been any family. This could have been anyone’s son.

BRAVO!

It's not exactly news that Americans get disillusioned with government and law enforcement from time to time, and this is a perfect illustration WHY. There's no excuse for not being human about things like this. The tickets were obviously for actions Langley had no control over. Langley shouldn't have had to take that downgraded ticket or pay that fine. I'm with his dad on this one. Something's terribly wrong with this picture, and at the very least, the Langleys deserve a serious apology.

Do you feel like what happened here was absolutely ridiculous and heartless?

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM

It sure was! I can't believe it!

splatz
by Sarah on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Wow poor guy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OrangeBalloon
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Since the guy was just 20 years old, I have to assume that he was in reasonably good health. So, for this case, I don't understand why they ticketed him.

However, my father has had a lot of heart problems. There are times when a person with a heart condition should not drive. I could understand a person getting into trouble if they had a problem while driving, and they were told it was unsafe to drive. 

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Wow

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Yep, people just don't care about people anymore.

got3boyz
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM

It's all about money, and this proves it.

lasombrs
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM

i cant believe all three were not thrown out. but the city has to make money off the people somehow *sigh*

Mblessesd4x
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Thats messed up! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)