Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Nutritional causes to behaviour disorders-what do other moms think?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM
  • 13 Replies
Recently a friend of mine (with good financial resources) was able to get his 20 year old son with Asperger's tested for levels of metals in his blood and urine. 10 years ago I think I would have called him crazy but now I am really starting to wonder. I am thinking about getting my little girl tested but need some input. Thanks
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I fully believe diet affects everything. We have been treating my son's behavioral problems, my autoimmune disease, even my son's seasonal allergies all through diet changes. The difference is amazing!
A_McCool
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I have Aspergers.  Diet changes helped with my asthma and gastrointestinal issues, but it did not help with my autistic traits (in fact, it made them slightly worse).  I think Aspergers is just part of who I am, and I don't really think anything will change that. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I think diet affects everything as well. There are several "foods" crap really, none of it is real food, that my dd can't eat because it makes her hyper.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

My little girl has a high level of ADHD and no diet change has a affected it. Tried it. Not saying i dont believe that diet can affect disorders but for my kid this isnt the issue

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I really have no idea.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM
I have no idea.
saylooth
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM

There may be something to it. Perhaps a combination of genetic as well as environmental things. For my daughter part of it was genetic but while I was pregnant I was around lots of chemicals because we were redoing and old home we bought. I wouldn't be there alot, but smelling paint even for 10 minutes would give me a horrible headache. I always worry VOC's caused some of hter issues. She was severely speech delayed and extremely hyper. We thought she was Autistic--she qualified for all kinds of services because she was that delayed. We started working with her ourselves (DH and I) aggressively and we put her in pre-school for social interaction. It did help. But. I feel that certain foods certainly worsen her behavior and I feel that she is deficient in some vitamins. Her hair is a little thin, she always gets sick, and sometimes gets that red Lupus rash from the sun. I don't give her lots of sugar, I give her purified water, I try to feed her organic fruits, etc. I'm not sure what you can do about metals though...how would they remove the metals? And I hate to say this because I'm pro vax, but I think DD had a severe reaction to her immunizations. I know they say its coincidence but she regressed after those shots. I'm afraid to vax DS. He got first round but I'm scared of 2nd round. Such a conundrum, no? What type of issues does your daughter have and how old is she?

rebeccasmly
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Diet affects way more than most people understand I honestly believe there are many diseases and control that can be either controlled or even "cured" with the right diet. I'll use my son as an example. By no means is he cured from the disease he was born with but we were able to remove him from 4 different daily medications and control his disease for the most part with diet and what he is exposed to. He had a set back 1.5 years ago, after several tests, we discovered he had a condition that had not been diagnosed yet. We changed his diet even more and became a bit more strict and he is almost 100% better With no medication. While I do believe in medicating when necessary, I recommend doing research and educating yourself to find out if there are more natural ways before using medications.

letstalk747
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM

i want to do this with my son , but cost to much

pinkcsmtlgy
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I believe that diet has a huge effect on our health.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)