Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Thinking About Taking DS Out of Daycare....

Posted by   + Show Post
I put DS in daycare in March, just two days a week. He is now 19mths. I wanted him to socialize with others and get ready to share mommy with little sister due in June. He loves it and has learned so much. The problem is that he is literally getting sick about every 2 weeks. He gets a high temp, upset stomach, upper respiratory infections. It just seems to go on and on. We just finished an antibiotic for the resp infection. Then had to start a round on yeast med from a reaction of the antibiotic. Of course I don't want him sick, but dr says its just building his immune system. Well, now little sister is due any day. I can't have him bringing all this home and sharing with us. Just curious, what would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
dreamalong
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Ask doctor!

BookGirl419
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I would keep him home too, it will happen once he stars school but at least your baby won't be a baby anymore.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I would take him out of daycare. If socializing is the only reason you have him there it's not worth  it.

Amber3118
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I took my daughter out of day care at 2 she is now three, I wanted her to have fun and socialize too but she was never there because every time she would go for a day she would come home spike a fever and come down with something after a couple of months of sicknesses I and the doc decided it was best to take her out for flu and cold season and she hasen't gone back yet...I'm just waiting to enroll her into pre-school in the fall... 

saylooth
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I went through the exact same "what if" scenario. I was so worried about DS. My daughter was in pre-pre school at 2 years old. I was working from home and then just a SAHM. DD has some developmental delays so I thought that Montessori would be a good place to help her--WOW--she started at 18 months and has done a complete 180. Its amazing. Did it ever. It was wonderful for her, and it gave her something to do and to be a part of. It also gave me the chance to have a little bonding time with baby. She only went half a day. I decided that was more important than worrying about ailments. However, I kept her at home with me the first 5 weeks. Newborns have pretty good immune protection from mother inutero and then from breast milk. Wash his hands when he gets home from daycare. Also, if he gets sick that often A) they are unclean there or B) They don't have a good keep your kid home from school when sick policy. In that case, you may have to switch. Its tough, I know. I struggled with it so much. If baby catches something, he will mostly be uncomfortable and it will be little sleep for you , but he will be okay. But if its too stressful, just keep DS home and wait until after baby's first round of shots--if you are vaccinating. Which personally, I think you should, but that's me. Daycares though, can be icky icky places. Sometimes it isn't worth the headache--literally.

arwalters
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM
It does get better, he'll stop getting sick as often but honestly ever since I took ds out of daycare to stay home with him he rarely ever gets sick now. I do sometimes bring him to a small in-home daycare for a couple hours when I have Dr apts, testing, or have to get a procedure done. he likes going and has much less chance of getting sick since only 1 or 2 kids there other than him
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Congratulations on the new baby coming soon!

momof3jam
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

It's only been a few months. I agree with pedi, it's building his immune system. He will start to get better - which is a good thing because he will encounter all those germs again in kindergarten, probably even MORE germs.

I would personally keep him there. Taking him out now, after *just* making new friends, might be hard on him at such a young age.

Blestmomof3
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I would take him out of daycare.  At his age, he's better off at home.  If he was three or four, I would say leave him in if he enjoys it but if he's sick all the time, you don't need to deal with that and a newborn.  I don't believe in the "need for socialization"  idea before preschool age.  Little ones learn good socialization skills from imitating the adults in their lives, not from imitating other little ones who are only learning themselves.  When they get to preschool age, they are developmentally ready to learn and understand more social skills such as cooperation and sharing.  Before that they are learning language, trust and developing physical skills such as walking, running and fine motor skills.  These are best learned and practiced at home or with a more personal care provider such as grandparents or a trusted sitter.

gmoen1977
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Unless he has a low immune system he is just building up his immunities. All new kids and new daycare teachers can expect the first year to get sick often because of the bugs the kids carry. It's all normal. I remember my first year as a day care teacher and I was sick often and I was in with the babies under 12 months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)