Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Thinking About Taking DS Out of Daycare....

Posted by   + Show Post
I put DS in daycare in March, just two days a week. He is now 19mths. I wanted him to socialize with others and get ready to share mommy with little sister due in June. He loves it and has learned so much. The problem is that he is literally getting sick about every 2 weeks. He gets a high temp, upset stomach, upper respiratory infections. It just seems to go on and on. We just finished an antibiotic for the resp infection. Then had to start a round on yeast med from a reaction of the antibiotic. Of course I don't want him sick, but dr says its just building his immune system. Well, now little sister is due any day. I can't have him bringing all this home and sharing with us. Just curious, what would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Replies (21-30):
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

This is pretty much a you're damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situation.

With daycare, the first year can be really tough.  Why?  BECAUSE the kids are usually adjusting and their immune systems are as well so they get sick often.  You have to remember that he is being exposed to a new environment and to new things and his immune system is not capable of handling it all because it hasn't been exposed so it's learning and building up tolerance.  The thing is usually that you can go through this now or you can go through this when he goes into kindergarten later on and he'll have to miss actual school. 

Personally, I would keep him there.  He's making new friends and putting him in and pulling him out can be tough and to add a new sibling to that can be even tougher. 

xboybrksgrlx
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM
This exactly. Except I have a son lol

Quoting BrookeAraiza:

That is a huge reason why I don't take my 2 year old daughter to daycare; she has had a cold twice in her life no ear infections nothing. All my friends with kids in daycare are constantly sick! If you are able to, take him out (:
chocolate75751
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

If you are stay at home mom (sorry can't think of the abbreviation at the moment) try looking into your local rec center if you have one. They are usually 30 min classes and some are even longer, but it gives them that time to interact with others. I did this with mine and soon as class is over with make sure you wash his hands and you should be good. Mine are 18 m apart and she didn't bring anything home to her brother.

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I would talk to the daycare and see what the cleaning practices are, do they make the kids wash thier hands as soon as they come in and before eating any snack? also if there is a child sick do they take them out of calss right away and send them home? If not I would find a new daycare. It's normal for germs to spread in a group of kids but getting sick every two weeks seems a little bit too much. I would definitely pull him out for the first few months baby is home because you dont want her catching anything thqt young. For right now you can start by keeping his hands washed and sanitized as soon as he comes home form daycare and giving him a children's vitamin with some extra vitaminC to boost his immune system.

wickedstepjenn
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Tho I agree kids need the immunity if he's getting that bad of colds that require meds I'd reconsider the day care. Stuffy noses and little funky coughs are normal for kids around other kids but the other is concerning.
I personally didn't put my kid into care till 4 my mom watched him while I was at work and school.
lilbit53009
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

my sons been in day care since he was 3 months old and has ever gotten 1 common cold a year in the winter (he's 4 now)

Jennyanne322
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM
He can either get sick like this now, or get sick like this when he starts kindergarten or pre-k. It's going to happen regardless. Just make sure he has enough vitamin C and try to nip colds in the butt before they really start.
jillianmayasmom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM
This is normal for daycare. It will happen now or when he goes to school.
emarin77
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM

If your son has a fever or throwing up keep him home.

villagemamma
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Thats actually sadly really normal. the first time kids are exposed to a large amount of foreign germs they have the tendency to catch them all. When i was doing daycare i used to feel so bad because no matter how much i sanitized my classroom kids would still catch tons of stuff. Its scary as a parent especially if your child isnt normally sick often. usually after 6months or so they settle down and only get the occasionally bug. Definitely not a fun time for mommy but doctor is right. his body is learning how to fight off a lot of stuff right now which will be to his benefit when he actually starts school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)