Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Thinking About Taking DS Out of Daycare....

Posted by   + Show Post
I put DS in daycare in March, just two days a week. He is now 19mths. I wanted him to socialize with others and get ready to share mommy with little sister due in June. He loves it and has learned so much. The problem is that he is literally getting sick about every 2 weeks. He gets a high temp, upset stomach, upper respiratory infections. It just seems to go on and on. We just finished an antibiotic for the resp infection. Then had to start a round on yeast med from a reaction of the antibiotic. Of course I don't want him sick, but dr says its just building his immune system. Well, now little sister is due any day. I can't have him bringing all this home and sharing with us. Just curious, what would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Replies (31-40):
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I would take him out of daycare but I also have zero experience with daycare.

saylooth
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Right,I agree with gmoen1977,  its really just a now or never type of thing, except that a fever/flu in the first few months of age is far more serious than when a child is older, so, a safer bet would be waiting.

Quoting gmoen1977:

Unless he has a low immune system he is just building up his immunities. All new kids and new daycare teachers can expect the first year to get sick often because of the bugs the kids carry. It's all normal. I remember my first year as a day care teacher and I was sick often and I was in with the babies under 12 months.

blessedbyGod141
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Our son got sick a lot at first but I'd rather him now than when he starts school. Even ny doctor agrees
mommieof1b4g
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

well you said you were doing it to get him ready fot the baby. now that the naby will be here pull him out.

Summerlove0617
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM

My daughter started preschool at age 3 & that first year she was sick every other week. Colds, bronchitis, pink eye, ear infections etc. Her 2nd year of preschool which she just completed last week was so much better. I think she missed 2 days total for being sick. So everyone is right when they say the first year is the worst and they have to build up an immune system. During her first year towards the end I started her on probiotics which really helped too. As far as keeping him home so the baby doesn't get sick i really don't know what you should do. While daycare is a great routine for him to socialize and learn new things and make new friends and would give you a nice break since you'll have a newborn soon I don't know if I'd want him coming booming home and getting the new baby sick. What does your doctor think? Both his pedi and OB? 

lovemysalior13
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I will keep him home and see how he is doing while at home. If his getting better and not sick then I will take him out of the daycare and complain to them. 

I'm a little scared my 10 months old my only baby boy just started daycare on monday and I am so scared and nervous. I've been hearing and seeing stories on the news about the abuse and the stuffs that goes on in the daycare and it has me scared like crap in my pants. I even seen one where this lady was giving the kids sleeping meds or something to make them sleep so they are not bothering her. I'm so scared and my DH tells me that I need to relax and all will be ok. 

But yes I think you should keep him home with you for two weeks and see how he does and if he's doing better then like i said its the daycare. Look into another one. 

butterbean491
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM
I asked his pedi last time we went in. She said that she would just keep him in. That its either now or late, but he is gonna catch it. She said it would just help build baby's immune system too. I just don't want to take chance with a newborn catching something. There is only so many meds that a newborn can take and most of the time will end up in hospital. I really hadn't discussed it with my OB. I know he had to write me several RX for antibiotics cause I'm catching it all too.
Quoting Summerlove0617:

My daughter started preschool at age 3 & that first year she was sick every other week. Colds, bronchitis, pink eye, ear infections etc. Her 2nd year of preschool which she just completed last week was so much better. I think she missed 2 days total for being sick. So everyone is right when they say the first year is the worst and they have to build up an immune system. During her first year towards the end I started her on probiotics which really helped too. As far as keeping him home so the baby doesn't get sick i really don't know what you should do. While daycare is a great routine for him to socialize and learn new things and make new friends and would give you a nice break since you'll have a newborn soon I don't know if I'd want him coming booming home and getting the new baby sick. What does your doctor think? Both his pedi and OB? 

butterbean491
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I believe I'm the only parent that goes by that rule. If he isn't feeling well or is running a fever he stays home with me. I am amazed by the number of sick children that are there. The director has notes posted everywhere for the parent to see about the sick policy. Not sure if anyone reads it.
Quoting emarin77:

If your son has a fever or throwing up keep him home.

emarin77
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I agree, it is said but yes follow the rules of the day care too.

Quoting butterbean491:

I believe I'm the only parent that goes by that rule. If he isn't feeling well or is running a fever he stays home with me. I am amazed by the number of sick children that are there. The director has notes posted everywhere for the parent to see about the sick policy. Not sure if anyone reads it.
Quoting emarin77:

If your son has a fever or throwing up keep him home.

c_ramirez8606
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I would pull him out. The daycare should be doing more to make sure kids are not getting sick. It's not worth the risk of giving any of this to a new born baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN