Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking About Taking DS Out of Daycare....

Posted by   + Show Post
I put DS in daycare in March, just two days a week. He is now 19mths. I wanted him to socialize with others and get ready to share mommy with little sister due in June. He loves it and has learned so much. The problem is that he is literally getting sick about every 2 weeks. He gets a high temp, upset stomach, upper respiratory infections. It just seems to go on and on. We just finished an antibiotic for the resp infection. Then had to start a round on yeast med from a reaction of the antibiotic. Of course I don't want him sick, but dr says its just building his immune system. Well, now little sister is due any day. I can't have him bringing all this home and sharing with us. Just curious, what would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Replies (41-50):
puttinintime
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I do think that daycare sometimes gives young children a little too much immune building from so many kids in the same age group. Maybe in large families there is exposure to germs, but in measured doses? I know my son didn't go to daycare, and he only had about two colds a year. When he went to preschool he was the only child in his entire class that didn't get chicken pox when the rest of the class did. I guess you'll just have to decide if your Mom instincts tell you if maybe he's getting a little too much exposure or not. Maybe he could use a little break and go back. It's hard sometimes to know what to do. The friends to play with versus the germs.

cowgirls10181
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Personally i keep mine out of child care. However my dd is now in public school and is sick every 2 weeks. Better now than when hes in school. Look up the guidelines on space required for child care locations, and its possable the respitory infection is from improper or poor ventilation. Because too many are in a small area. Good luck and congratulations on the new little one!
Summerlove0617
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Yes there are way too many parents who send their kids to school sick. That's why our kids catch it.

massconfusion14
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Do you plan on homeschooling? If not, the kid will have absolutely no immune system and will get sick at school... 

Quoting BrookeAraiza:

That is a huge reason why I don't take my 2 year old daughter to daycare; she has had a cold twice in her life no ear infections nothing. All my friends with kids in daycare are constantly sick! If you are able to, take him out (:

benny1031
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I work in day care and the doctor is right he is building up the immune system. It will soon pass just make sure that they are sanitizing and washing hands I went through the same tjing with my son.
EbonySnow
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I'd probably take him out

busybee13
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:27 PM
i would take him out, he can socialize more as he gets olxer plus you dont want him bringing germs home from day care
shellyplatz
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:33 PM

He will probably build up his immunity and not get sick as much. Is it a big center? They are harder to keep up with the germs. A smaller home based daycare usually has less germs going around. Less kids = less germs = easier to keep up with the germs. 

They learn so much around their peers!

loverbug75
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I think this is a part of life. Not to many years ago children socialized far more because of large extended families and close-nit communities. It seems like it is part of natures plan.
mbc324
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I wouldnt take him out. I did that and am sorry I did. My little guy missed so much school K -3, he caught everything there was to catch beacause he hadnt been exposed to any illnesses. Every family who has working parents, kids in school, goes to church, shopping, out to eat etc. take the chance of being exposed to illnesses & bringing it home to baby & mom. You cross that bridge when & if it comes to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)