Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Thinking About Taking DS Out of Daycare....

Posted by   + Show Post
I put DS in daycare in March, just two days a week. He is now 19mths. I wanted him to socialize with others and get ready to share mommy with little sister due in June. He loves it and has learned so much. The problem is that he is literally getting sick about every 2 weeks. He gets a high temp, upset stomach, upper respiratory infections. It just seems to go on and on. We just finished an antibiotic for the resp infection. Then had to start a round on yeast med from a reaction of the antibiotic. Of course I don't want him sick, but dr says its just building his immune system. Well, now little sister is due any day. I can't have him bringing all this home and sharing with us. Just curious, what would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Replies (51-60):
BrookeAraiza
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Yes I am going to homeschool!

Quoting massconfusion14:

Do you plan on homeschooling? If not, the kid will have absolutely no immune system and will get sick at school... 

Quoting BrookeAraiza:

That is a huge reason why I don't take my 2 year old daughter to daycare; she has had a cold twice in her life no ear infections nothing. All my friends with kids in daycare are constantly sick! If you are able to, take him out (:

massconfusion14
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Wow.. so you have a teaching certificate? Or do you plan on your kid never going anywhere on life because he/she has an overbearing overprotective mom who wont let your kid experience life?

Quoting BrookeAraiza:

Quoting massconfusion14:

Do you plan on homeschooling? If not, the kid will have absolutely no immune system and will get sick at school... 

Quoting BrookeAraiza:

That is a huge reason why I don't take my 2 year old daughter to daycare; she has had a cold twice in her life no ear infections nothing. All my friends with kids in daycare are constantly sick! If you are able to, take him out (:

Venae
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

A baby does not need socialization - he needs his mother.  Send him to preschool (9-12, 3 or 5 days a week) when he turns 4.  

Blestmomof3
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM

This is exactly what I did with my now 13 and 11 yo girls only they went two days / week.  They are both well adjusted and have friends.  They never had any socialization problems.  My third dd will do the same this coming fall.   They get some immunity building from preschool with enough days off in between to recover.  They both did miss about 7-9 days of kindergarten but who the heck cares.  It's kindergarten!  It didn't have any detrimental effects on their school careers.   Some people these days treat kindergarten like their kid is preparing for an Ivy League college. 

Quoting Venae:

A baby does not need socialization - he needs his mother.  Send him to preschool (9-12, 3 or 5 days a week) when he turns 4.  

ChristianCain12
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a mother yet but if y'alls children keep getting sick at daycare it is probably a good thing to keep them home for a little while and see if they get better and if you put them back in daycare and they get sick again it is probably cause there is pneumonia somewhere in the build it will make kids sick..
Proudmommy0610
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:45 AM
I went through with DS he got sick all year when he started school this past September and now he is finishing up. I'm due on Sunday and I'm kind of glad he is going to be out until September because I wouldn't want him bringing all those viruses home. I would say keep him home and get abc mouse.com we got it for DS and he loves it.
BrookeAraiza
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Wow, not that this is any of your business but yes I do have a "teaching certificate" and my daughter does modeling, gymnastics and dance as well as music academy; this is why I am choosing to homeschool. I am making sure she has every opportunity open to her and if she ever comes to me and says she wants to go to public school I will enroll her asap. I don't understand why you had to make a rude comment, I in no way said what you were doing is wrong.

Quoting massconfusion14:

Wow.. so you have a teaching certificate? Or do you plan on your kid never going anywhere on life because he/she has an overbearing overprotective mom who wont let your kid experience life?

Quoting BrookeAraiza:

Quoting massconfusion14:

Quoting BrookeAraiza:

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I know that getting sick happens a LOT in daycare. That is is basically expected.

I also know that a child getting sick and being taken care of, also helps to build the immune system.

^after saying all of that though.

Your little baby doens't have an immune system.... well has a very compromised immune system, and so will you right after giving birth. I would take him out of day care for a few weeks at the very least.

ETA: my son barely ever got sick before he went to day care... then all of sudden he was constantly sick. Took him out of daycare for other reasons... Now he's in preschool... he's back to not being sick all the time.

Makes me wonder if maybe the day care wasn't being as clean as they could have been or maybe they were trying to be too clean.

CafeMom Tickers
Jessid9109
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Personally if he is getting sick like that it isn't good for him to be in that environment. When it comes that time for you to have your daughter your son will naturally learn to bond with her. Have him be involved with setting things up like with her room. Make him feel very involved and everything will be fine. He will naturally learn to share his mommy with his baby sister.
splatz
by Sarah on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Yes, I agree. 

Quoting momma2b2008:

The first few months is always the worst. It does get better once their immune systems adjust.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)