Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Thinking About Taking DS Out of Daycare....

Posted by   + Show Post
I put DS in daycare in March, just two days a week. He is now 19mths. I wanted him to socialize with others and get ready to share mommy with little sister due in June. He loves it and has learned so much. The problem is that he is literally getting sick about every 2 weeks. He gets a high temp, upset stomach, upper respiratory infections. It just seems to go on and on. We just finished an antibiotic for the resp infection. Then had to start a round on yeast med from a reaction of the antibiotic. Of course I don't want him sick, but dr says its just building his immune system. Well, now little sister is due any day. I can't have him bringing all this home and sharing with us. Just curious, what would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Replies (61-70):
Jadnorton
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM
My kids go to preschool for a few hours three times a week but they have a strict sick kid policy. They will call you to come get them if they are not feeling well. Both of mine stay fairly well and one has severe asthma, so that says a lot. Maybe find another program or other activities to "socialize"
cstargarner
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:03 PM

for colds I didn't really worry much about it because I know if he doesn't build up an immunity to them now, he'll be bringing more home later when he hits kindergarten.  Maybe just give him more OJ and other foods that help build immune systems and have a lot of vitamin C?  I just pulled my son from his school a month before the end because they kept giving him cheese-its even though he's allergic, so if it was something like that then i'd say pull him after it happened more than once (we waited til the 3rd time but it wasn't life threatening.  If it was, i'd pull him after 1 time).

DandJsGrandma
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:55 AM

It happened when I put my daughter in daycare but when she stated Pre k and onward she rarely got sick. Seriously though, had I had a choice I would not have put her in daycare. At that age they put everything in their mouths and get sick way too often. I would have waited until after age 3. 

6missy
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I would take him out my dd got sick like that at their first daycare they had pinkeye every two weeks etc. then I moved them to different daycare then they did get sick but no pinkeye that but they did get sick once a month then I just pulled them out completely and they don't get sick only once or twice a year.

tiniowien
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Mine was sick, she still gets sick

AnnaleseSalter
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:05 PM

If your little one does not go to day care the same thing will happen when kindergarden starts .... They are being exposed to things they were not exposed to at home and it is normal and will pass as the immune system gets stronger .

azeventdiva
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM

It does help to build the immune system, although it certainly sucks in the mean time. Before running for antibiotics though, try looking to natural remidies first. As for the baby, her first 2 weeks are really the most crucial. Babies are not born with an active immune system & their immune system isn't really up to speed for the first couple weeks. If you are nursing, this will build her immune system faster & make it stronger than if you are doing formula. If you are nursing, she will get all the antibodies that your body is already producing, making it less likely that she get's sick from anything brother brings home.

Good luck.

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM

It will pass.  My DS has been in daycare since he was 10wks old.  He spent the first 2 year sick as a dog.  Now he rarely gets sick anymore.

My sister is a SAHM.  Her daughter has never been in daycare and has been very healthy. When she started school, she was sick as a dog all the time. 

Your DS is going to be sick until he builds up his immune system.  It's up to you when it happens, but it will eventually happen.....unless you homeschool

massconfusion14
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Because half of the people I see on here who homeschool can't spell or use grammar much less be certified to teach anyone. If you have a teaching certificate, more power to you! I don't so I will never homeschool unless I get some teaching classes! Sorry to insult you but it was a question, not an attack.

Quoting BrookeAraiza:

Wow, not that this is any of your business but yes I do have a "teaching certificate" and my daughter does modeling, gymnastics and dance as well as music academy; this is why I am choosing to homeschool. I am making sure she has every opportunity open to her and if she ever comes to me and says she wants to go to public school I will enroll her asap. I don't understand why you had to make a rude comment, I in no way said what you were doing is wrong.

Quoting massconfusion14:

Wow.. so you have a teaching certificate? Or do you plan on your kid never going anywhere on life because he/she has an overbearing overprotective mom who wont let your kid experience life?

Quoting BrookeAraiza:

Yes I am going to homeschool!

Quoting massconfusion14:

Do you plan on homeschooling? If not, the kid will have absolutely no immune system and will get sick at school... 

Quoting BrookeAraiza:

That is a huge reason why I don't take my 2 year old daughter to daycare; she has had a cold twice in her life no ear infections nothing. All my friends with kids in daycare are constantly sick! If you are able to, take him out (:

Libertyinlight
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Try looking into a nanny share. I run a nanny share and my little clients do not get sick over here. If they get sick it's from the outside world. I am a nurse and also am very fussy about cleanliness but overall in a nanny share u get all of the benefits of socialization and learning without the crazy amount of sickness. Especially if u find a good nanny. My clients are hardly ever sick, in fact they are sick just the right amount to develop their immunity. Sickness is the major problem of daycare. U don't want that around your new baby.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN