Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
My daughter is humping her bed to go to sleep. It is very strange and disturbs me a little. Is this normal? We are very careful about what shows she watches, she is not left alone with strangers etc. She is 2.5 years old. Has anyone else's toddler done this?
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
Karopie_99
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Quoting saylooth:

Yup! Without fail every single diaper change she smacks her vajay. Makes me a bit nervous she tries to beat herself. It obviously doesn't hurt cause she would stop doing it. I just find it strange what she does. But its a phase and shell outgrow it eventually
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I assume this is a normal stage.

arwalters
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Ds is obsessed with being naked right now. We gave him boundaries about when and where he can. only if it's just mommy and daddy at home and only at home. If he starts to explore himself, lol, we tell him he has to go in his room to do that. He is very good at following the rules, always asks me first "mommy can I be naked?" When I say sure he makes sure I close the curtains so no one will see him. Today when he had naked time he just sprawled out on the couch watching TV, he sighs and says "I love being naked, it's so much fun" haha. It usually doesn't last more than a half hr but I'm hoping he grows out of out eventually lol. He's 4. I don't remember him ever doing the humping thing but I do know it's normal, not sexual. just that they become aware of a sensation & are exploring it
copelandmom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM

My 3 yr old does it too, she uses stuffed animals...at first i thought it was something she inadvertantly saw. She used to do it out in the open anywhere. Now she has learned to go in her room under the blankets. I understand its normal but my husband is uncomfortable with the whole thing. He is fine as long as he doesnt "catch" her in the act. She also shares a room with her 1 yr old sister...Is there a chance she will expand to her sister and what is the best way to handle that situation?

teaspring
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

My daughter did.  She would bunch up her blanket.  I never made her think it was anything at all, good or bad.  I just acted normal, as if she wasn't doing anything, and she has since stopped.  She's 9 now and very healthy emotionally, mentally, and physically. 

I wouldn't worry about it at all, momma :)

miracle0618
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I have a niece when she was 2 years she would rub her nipples and touch herself privately thinking we didn't see her and every Time she.get caught my sis.would get after her... but i knew she was just curious. She knows its her vagina and all her body parts.... shes 4 now she stopped
bakerang
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Yup I've got a friends daughter who did it when she was tired. She was in preschool swell it's a form of mastrabation
KatieSeaton
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

My DD is 2 and doesn't do this but my DS is 6 and started humping around 2 and he will sometimes still do it...very rarely but still does. I've told him that it is just something he can do in the privacy of his room.

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Kids usually have a period between toddler and preschool age where they explore themselves. They do all sorts of things whether humping, smacking, pulling, or whatever to themselves to explore either their penis or vagina (depending on which you have).
Be glad she does it in her bedroom and not the living room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellygirl
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

It's more normal that you think.  My BF's daughter does this frequently.  It really makes me uncomfortable.  My friend just acts like it's the same as playing with a toy or something.  He daughter, 4, will say, "I'm going to go 'rub' myself."  My friend is like, "OK, make sure you wash your hands when you're done."  Honestly, I think that's way to relaxed and quite frankly, weird.  I would never encrouage that.  However, I'd never make a big deal about it either.  I'd simply put a stop to it and move on.  Now that she has made it VERY acceptable, her daughter may do it at day care, at the sitteres, the pool, in public in general.  My friend also talks about it in open forum.  Is it just me?  Or are would other's be uncomfortable with this situation?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN