Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
My daughter is humping her bed to go to sleep. It is very strange and disturbs me a little. Is this normal? We are very careful about what shows she watches, she is not left alone with strangers etc. She is 2.5 years old. Has anyone else's toddler done this?
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
bellygirl
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM

It's more normal that you think.  My BF's daughter does this frequently.  It really makes me uncomfortable.  My friend just acts like it's the same as playing with a toy or something.  He daughter, 4, will say, "I'm going to go 'rub' myself."  My friend is like, "OK, make sure you wash your hands when you're done."  Honestly, I think that's way to relaxed and quite frankly, weird.  I would never encrouage that.  However, I'd never make a big deal about it either.  I'd simply put a stop to it and move on.  Now that she has made it VERY acceptable, her daughter may do it at day care, at the sitteres, the pool, in public in general.  My friend also talks about it in open forum.  Is it just me?  Or are would other's be uncomfortable with this situation?

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Idk, I never noticed my dd doing that.

AggieRebel76
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

IT IS NORMAL,MOST KIDS DO IT!

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM
My DD does this to she's 2&1/2 Dr said it's natural and that she should grow out of it by 4-5
Rosebud333776
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Yes it is good to be reassured that this is normal. Alot of us momas get concerned about possible sexual abuse.

Quoting whatmynameagain:

It's a typical, healthy, normal stage kids @the 2.5/3 go through. They are learning about their bodies and what feels good its nothing sexual just them exploring.They grow out of it but they haven't learned privacy yet.:)

shaynaj1980
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM

She's probably exploring. Don't make a big deal out of it or she'll probably start to feel ashamed about her body. Teach her that it's a private thing to do when no one else is around and it will be fine.

auburnnancy
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM

totally normal and healthy.  Echoing that it's extremely important not to tell them it's wrong or stop them....just caution privacy.  My daughter did this, son did not.  Have a friend who is a counselor and she said about 70% of toddlers do this to some varying degree.  I told mine when she did it on the couch,  "That feels good, huh?  Well that's totally fine; we all do it, but it's a private thing for your room, okay.  No big deal, just private."   Shaming or stopping them could cause them to have big confusion over their sexuality, self-esteem, body image later.  If you make them feel there is something wrong, they also are more likely to hide future activities. 

Betts43
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Very normal. Don't let it freak you out, it's just a stage. 

Busymomma1988
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
My daughter does that with her blanket right out in the open. I have to constantly tell her not to do it in public like that...I feel really weird about it because she does it in front of others at friends' houses even. I'm glad to see this is a stage and not something caused by seeing things she shouldn't when I'm not around...I was starting to get worried.
royboy
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Maybe its just moving to go to sleep  instead of humping .  How could a 2.5 know what you described is anyway unless she has seen you doing this.  I think you have read way to much into this 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)