Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
My daughter is humping her bed to go to sleep. It is very strange and disturbs me a little. Is this normal? We are very careful about what shows she watches, she is not left alone with strangers etc. She is 2.5 years old. Has anyone else's toddler done this?
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
DiANAiVELiSSE
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM

My DS does it but he's only 15mths.. we think it's "kinda' normal

Nashuasmom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM

There was a girl in my preschool class who did it at nap/rest time. 

From what I've read and heard from other parents it is normal.

It is not sexual for them; it feels good, so they do it, just like any other behavior they find pleasurable or comforting. They do not understand the taboo.

arwalters
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM
*giant eye roll*

Quoting Mom_to_Lincoln:

I dont know if that's appropriate at 4. That's when they should first start learning to keep private's to themselves. My ds is 5 and he now goes to the bathroom/bedroom anytime he needs to undress to chage. Im teaching him he cant get dressed in the living room anymore. Unless your a nudest there is no reason to walk/sit around your house naked. I would be worried that one day he might meantion to a teacher/friend that he "gets to sit on the couch naked when mom and dad are home" and next thing you know CPS gets called. lol

Quoting arwalters:

Ds is obsessed with being naked right now. We gave him boundaries about when and where he can. only if it's just mommy and daddy at home and only at home. If he starts to explore himself, lol, we tell him he has to go in his room to do that. He is very good at following the rules, always asks me first "mommy can I be naked?" When I say sure he makes sure I close the curtains so no one will see him. Today when he had naked time he just sprawled out on the couch watching TV, he sighs and says "I love being naked, it's so much fun" haha. It usually doesn't last more than a half hr but I'm hoping he grows out of out eventually lol. He's 4. I don't remember him ever doing the humping thing but I do know it's normal, not sexual. just that they become aware of a sensation & are exploring it

BookGirl419
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much
bad_mama2011
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but maybe she doesn't really know what she's doing? Did you ask her? Is it possible she walked in on you and your DH/SO?

mimibug
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM
As a mother of 3 and Mimi of 11, it is completely normal. I've seen it done many times. They will stop on their own. My granddaughter used to do it on the couch watching tv and i would just call her name and she would stop. Don't make a big deal about it. Don't make them feel like they are doing something bad. I was shocked when I told my dr what she was doing and he told me why she was doing it.
saylooth
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I wish I could reply to all of you individually, but I am so busy its hard to get on here at all! But thank you so much for all of your replies!! I'm relieved to hear that this is common and normal, and to learn that I should not pay nmuch attention to it or to make her embarrassed about it. Children are so interesting. I'm learning so much about my daughter and toddlers every day! Its fascinating to watch them grow, to explore and to learn about the world around them. Thanks everyone!

saylooth
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Quoting Jenn8604:

Kids usually have a period between toddler and preschool age where they explore themselves. They do all sorts of things whether humping, smacking, pulling, or whatever to themselves to explore either their penis or vagina (depending on which you have).
Be glad she does it in her bedroom and not the living room.

Hee hee, seriously, lol. Luckily she doesn't do it anywhere else, only in her crib!
kailu1835
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I did it. I know my oldest dies something similar. Its not a big deal, and not sexual at this age, it just feels good. Kind of like my youngest grabbing his penis and giggling every time I change his diaper.
katye43
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Some kids just have more sensitive sexual areas than others,  She'll get past it...for a while...lol.  Just keep her informed, as she gets olders, what is appropriate public behaviior and what iss appropriate only in private,

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff...go shopping! big smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)