Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
My daughter is humping her bed to go to sleep. It is very strange and disturbs me a little. Is this normal? We are very careful about what shows she watches, she is not left alone with strangers etc. She is 2.5 years old. Has anyone else's toddler done this?
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (81-90):
steelcage
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM

My now almost 6 year old has done this before. She used to do it constantly at that age, she had a stuffed rabbit she'd go to town on at nap time. Her daycare teachers and pediatrician said it's normal for their age and not to worry or make a big deal. If it bothers us, to just tell her that it's a private thing and send her to her room (she'd usually just lay in the floor no matter where we were and do it, and it got a bit awkward at family's houses). She has done it maybe three times in the last year and those have been very spaced out., and she'd only do it when she was realllly sleepy. Pedi said it just helped her go to sleep easier.

mamahernandez3
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Dd2 is now 3.5 and she's always touched herself since she could get her hands down there. so yes it's normal.
Countess79
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM
I'd still ask her if anyone else had touched her"privates"
babie113
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM

completely normal children do play with themselves .all they know is that its soothing it feels good they dont know why .its not really a sexual thing.most kids even toddlers do it

katemckenzie
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM
My sister did the same thing when she was little.
acrogodess
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Ha. Ds would do that when he was around 3. Totally normal. It's not about sexuality at that point in time. It is a way of self soothing.

SaraSnider
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Well my Two year old stood over a water park spray thing and let it hit her "who ha" and was laughing. It was a bit eembarrassing lol.
rhiannonaisling
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Absolutely normal and may continue up till around age 5 or 6 or so when most children seem to stop

natwee
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM
My baby is a little over one and he had been doing this but my mind never thought it was unusual he is just being a kid and I thought well he is just playing so I wont bother asking the dr if I should stop him but he eventually fall asleep after doing that so I think its normal
border7305
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Well she not around strangers and you watch what she watches on tv, are you sure she humping and just not rocking her self to sleep since she only does it at bed time? A lot of tots her age rock them self to sleep. Kim
http://www.cafemom.com/group/107984
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN