Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*** EDITED What is a reasonable rate?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am a SAHM and I am thinking about babysitting occasionally for some extra cash. I've been babysitting since I was about 12 or so and I am now a mom of two daughters almost 2 and almost 1. What would be a reasonable rate for babysitting?

Oh I am also CPR certified and I would be babysitting in my home. It's child proof.

Thanks in advance!

**Thanks for the respones ladies but I am not talking about doing a day care. Just watching for kids for a couple hours (less than 5) here and there while parents run errands and such. 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmmasMommy2011
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM

BUMP!

illinoismommy83
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM

In your home is going to attract low rates. Around here, SAHMs make $25/day to keep other kids alive.

If you babysat in their home without your kids in tow then you could charge $12+/hr.

No one pays real well for babysitting when you bring your own kids along. 

Scinn
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I did that for a long time and charged $50/wk for part time (3 days or less) and full time was $100/wk per child. Now I had one woman who had 3 kids and I charged her $200/wk for full time for all 3 and every other weekend she would do a "sleep over" at her house with my kids (since I was a single mom at the time) for free so that I could get out of the house at least twice a month and have some "me" time.

But daycare was expensive in my area and she was going to be looking at $375 a week for all three of her kids and she didn't even make that much a week. I would do some price checking and look into what it would cost, and then work with the parents on a case by case. If they provide snacks/meals then make the prices a bit cheaper since you're not having to pay for those things. Also check your state laws. In some states you can not provide care former than one other family, or go over a certain number of children at a time, without being lisenced. Some states don't care at all, just something to check :) best of luck!!
Scinn
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM
For more than one family* stupid auto correct on my phone lol
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM

It really depends on where you are, how many kids, etc.. Call a few daycare's and ask them their prices. Then charge a lower price for your babysitting service.

vbway
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM

It can vary widely. At one time I had a childcare lic. in California. I worked out of my home and charge $90/week for part time (3 days) or $150-175 per week for full time(depending on the age). 

But now I live in Louisiana and the rate are much different. I no longer do that but I did shop around when looking for a place for my kids. I found a college girl who was CPR certified and off for the summer, she watched my two kids for 150/week total. And she did all kinds of things with them. The summer reading program, the park, the zoo (which I paid for of course) and tons of arts and crafts. 

I see actual centers around advertising for 95-135 per week. If I were you I would check craigslist. You can call at least five people who do it out of their home and get a good idea what kind of rates you could get in your area. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Charge what you think is fair.

suetoo
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

My dd pays $28/day for a NYS certified home.  

nursetina
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I pay $15-30 depending on how long and how many children stay (I have 4.) If all 4 stay, I'd pay $30 daily.

MamaJellyBean58
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I do it for a gal in my area with 2 younger girls. but I can take my kids with me. I get paid $2/hr. I think the area you live in defines the cost more than anything
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)