Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing the drinking age to 18? Good idea or not?

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday we went to a family gathering for Father's Day. Throughout the day beer and other alcoholic beverages were available as it ususally is with family gatherings.

My younger cousin (20) was there. Several family members offered him a drink, but he refused because he isnt 21. Now I know you are probably thinking that he just didn't want to drink around family, but that is not the case. He is in the military. His dream since he was a little boy was to be in the military. Anyway, he is a rule follower and would never knowingly or deliberately break a rule that could effect his military career.

I wondered about it all day though. Do you think the legal drinking age should be lowered in the United States? After all people can vote, enter into legal and binding contracts, buy tobacco products, permanently alter their bodies and serve their country at 18 years old, why not be able to legally drink as well? 

Thoughts? 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mabuka
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
The drinking age should be non-existent. In places where there is no set age, there is hardly any alcohol-related problems.
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from that the legal age is 18. 

Quoting mumamy:

In my country it's 18. There is always discussion to put it to 21 but if you can vote, smoke etc at 18 I dont see that drinking should be ruled out. People will just do it an lie if they want to do it.
I know so many responsible 18 year olds who will drink and not go overboard. I was one of them. My husband would drink but from about age 22 onwards he never did.
If you raise your kids to be responsible for their actions there is no difference to how they should be behaving socially at 18 than 21 when it comes to drinking and their responsibilities.

tifbrown
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
It's 18 where I am. I was glad when I was a teenager, but I wouldn't be upset if it was changed to 21 before my kids get there haha. But, realistically a lot of teens drink before 18.
mumamy
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Australia.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

xxMichellexx
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in Australia, and our government is in the process of looking at raising the drinking age to 21.. There are so many road deaths here with 18-20 year  old drivers who get behind the wheel intoxicated..

And the violence in the city because of alcohol has increased as well, it is concerning because recently there have been a few deaths related to being 'king hit from behind' by drunk 18-20 year olds... They are also looking at introducing an 'alcohol awareness' program into our secondary schools.. Australians who aren't under the age of 18 are hoping they pass the new law through..

xxMichellexx
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Australia.... I am Aussie :) known as The land Down Under :)

Quoting mumamy:

Australia.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Lilypie - (Jkds)

Mrs.Sells
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

The legal drinking age use to be 18 and they raised it for a reason. 

Quoting Reina13:

Why would you think it would make it worse? Why would you want to raise it to 28?  Tobacco products which you can buy at 18 can kill you. Serving your country can get you killed. Why is drinking any different?

Im not being snarky, I honestly want your opinion. Other countries have a lower drinking age. Im not sure, but I think ours is the highest age so Im curious why you think the way you do.

Quoting MOMTK2000:

I REALLY TRULY feel changing the drinking age to 18 is worse, i feel 21 is bad enough, so how is changing it to an earlier age gonna make it better? i sometimes wonder if it shouldn't change to a later age like 28, cause by that age i feel the yoiunger generation is more mature and responsible by then.

jessifromdenver
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
At the very least, I think military personnel should be able to drink alcohol on post, regardless of their age. If you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to have a beer. I could see an argument for limiting to just on post and just military personnel, though. I think certain rights should come with military service (I'm a vet myself).
I have no strong opinion on the drinking age outside of that. There is a movement in my state to lower the drinking age, led by a politician who, surprise, surprise, is heir to the Coors fortune. I'm skeptical of that movement since it obviously has profit based motives. Also, I hate that politician. That family was notorious for being Nazi sympathizers back in the day, their politics haven't evolved much.
jessifromdenver
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM
HA! You don't know anyone in the military, do you? Some of the worst drinkers and least responsible people I've ever known were my fellow service members. Military service does not make you a better person. But it's a really hard job and I think it should afford people certain privileges.

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

It's reasonable question.  The younger you are though the more likely you are to drink too much and more likely to have a serious accident.  Perhaps all those things should be at 21.  Or maybe if you serve in the  ilitary that restriction should be waved on the grounds you are a more resonsible adult.

CrnchyMamaCraig
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually I think the legal "adult" age should be raised to 21 and all those other things should happen at 21.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)