Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing the drinking age to 18? Good idea or not?

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday we went to a family gathering for Father's Day. Throughout the day beer and other alcoholic beverages were available as it ususally is with family gatherings.

My younger cousin (20) was there. Several family members offered him a drink, but he refused because he isnt 21. Now I know you are probably thinking that he just didn't want to drink around family, but that is not the case. He is in the military. His dream since he was a little boy was to be in the military. Anyway, he is a rule follower and would never knowingly or deliberately break a rule that could effect his military career.

I wondered about it all day though. Do you think the legal drinking age should be lowered in the United States? After all people can vote, enter into legal and binding contracts, buy tobacco products, permanently alter their bodies and serve their country at 18 years old, why not be able to legally drink as well? 

Thoughts? 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
EVSamJ
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I just turned 21 in march. I feel that in the united states we look at alcohol from a different perspective than other countries like Italy, Germany ect.  In America alcohol has been ruined because of shows like Jersey Shore, and many other "reality shows" 1. Teens really think that is reality, and its NOT! 2. Since Alcohol has gotten this bad name. I do believe in lowering the drinking age to 18 but the 'bad name' the image of alcohol in America needs to change then! If we don't teach our kids booze isn't just fun and games we will be raising a bunch of 18year old alcholics. Teens need to know drinking and driving is not cool, funny, hip, exciting its a life changing event.

kmugs
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes - 18.

i think making drinking illegal until 21 is ridiculous, and I think the safest way for people to become smart, safe, moderate drinkers is to allow them to practice drinking very moderately in a safe environment - such as at home.  Parents  can teach kids a lot about safe drinking, but that is hard to do if you have to wait until 21.  Some kids are out on their own by then.

I also think making everyone wait til 18 makes alcohol seem taboo - which is not great. 

The legal drinking age where i live is 19.

I support no military until 21, though.  I think the decision to join the military requires far more maturity than being able to drink.  

mkhc-531
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM
I think it's more about the maturity level of the person. I mean even some grown adults can't properly handle their alcohol. Unfortunately the government can't say: here, the mature people are allowed to drink only.. lol. But I definitely think that if you can sign yourself away to the military, and potentially risk taking a bullet for your country at 18, let em drink if they want! They deserve it. :)

Quoting Reina13:

Yesterday we went to a family gathering for Father's Day. Throughout the day beer and other alcoholic beverages were available as it ususally is with family gatherings.

My younger cousin (20) was there. Several family members offered him a drink, but he refused because he isnt 21. Now I know you are probably thinking that he just didn't want to drink around family, but that is not the case. He is in the military. His dream since he was a little boy was to be in the military. Anyway, he is a rule follower and would never knowingly or deliberately break a rule that could effect his military career.

I wondered about it all day though. Do you think the legal drinking age should be lowered in the United States? After all people can vote, enter into legal and binding contracts, buy tobacco products, permanently alter their bodies and serve their country at 18 years old, why not be able to legally drink as well? 

Thoughts? 

boys2men2soon
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I believe anyone in the military should be allowed to drink, regardless of age or whether or not they are on base.

My hesitation with lowering the drinking age to 18 is that many 18 yr olds are still in high school.   I actually think that legal age in general should be 18 AND graduated from High School.   Parents should still have control until the kid is out of school.

My issue with lowering legal drinking age is drunk driving.   18 is still relatively young and irresponsible.  Allowing 18 year olds in bars is kind of scary to me.       My sons are 23 & 19.   The 19 yr old actually drinks more than the 23 yr old.    Yes, we allow him to drink in our presence.   Neither of my sons drink enough to get drunk or out of control, fortunately.    Neither will get behind the wheel after drinking.    My oldest called me from a wedding to ask if I felt he was okay to drive home.... he had one beer and one glass of champagne, three hours before he called!

NocturnesAngel
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Please tell your Cousin, "Thank you" from myself & my family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In some areas, if you have a Military ID, they will Serve You Regardless of Your Age.

Also, in some States, drinking is permitted:

Did You Know?
  1. Although many believe that anyone under the age of 21 is prohibited from consuming alcohol in the United States, underage drinking isallowed in 29 states if done on private premises with parental consent, 25 states if for religious purposes, and 7 states if for educational purposes[1] [2]

2. Between 1970 to 1976, 30 states lowered their Minimum Legal Drinking Age (MLDA) from 21 to 18, 19, or 20. [3]

3. The enactment of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 [4] prompted states to raise their legal age for purchase or public possession of alcohol to 21 or risk losing millions in federal highway funds.

4. After the repeal of alcohol prohibition by the 21st Amendment on Dec. 5, 1933, Illinois (1933-1961) and Oklahoma (1933-1976) set their state drinking age at 21 for men and 18 for women. The 1976 US Supreme Court case Craig v. Boren ruled 7-2 that this age difference violated the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment. [3]

Links are below:

http://drinkingage.procon.org/

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

Minimum Drinking Age Around the World:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge.html

Have a wonderful week 

hugs

MamaJellyBean58
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Personally I think it should be 18. If you are old enough to go to war for your country you should be old enough to have a beer when you get home. Also They are going to drink if it's rebellious. Make it legal less kids doing it just to be rebelious.

ADHDmommyandson
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM

21 is fine  give kids a lil time to mature and get past the yay im 18 on my own i can do what i want faze 

now having said that  IF a military man wants a drink he should have that right  no matter his age if hes old enough to risk his life and fight for our country then he should damn well have the right to have a drink

their are ppl who turn 18  shoot ppl who turn 21 who have no business drinking and are to irresponsible to be drinking

if a law needs changing  should be 21 with out your photo military ID  if you are in the military  18 is fine

RorysGgma
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Even at the age of 21, a good many young people are not ready 'in their brain' to realize and admit drinking IS and CAN BE dangerous to their health & life. They think they are invincible. They do not view their behavior as putting themselves and others in a VERY dangerous situation. They are not emotionally mature enough to see what lies ahead if THEY take the wrong 'turn'.

I would like to see the age for voting, military, etc. be raised to 21. Why is an 18 year old thought to be mature enough to kill an enemy or pick a president? In my book, it's just NOT FAIR to send them off to war to get killed as in WWII, Vietnam, Korea, etc., etc.

Next time, step forward and pat your cousin on the back and say: I'm so proud of you for standing up for what you believe in. 

love you sign

jessifromdenver
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I like the idea of raising the military age, actually. I'm an Army vet, and I think that's a good idea.
Others make a good point about parents teaching their kids responsible drinking. It's hard to do that when you have to wait until 4 years after they've moved out of your home.
But one way we coulddo it is if we drank responsibly in front of our kids. In America there's so many taboos around drinking, many parents don't do it at all in front of their kids. So instead of kids seeing that adults enjoy a beer or a glass of wine every now and then because it tastes good, kids grow up only with messages that say drinking is about getting drunk/cutting loose/partying. It's not part of a normal, respectable life and should be kept in certain areas (much like the American attitudes towards sex and feeding babies).
Taboos around alcohol don't change with a change in the drinking age, whether we raise or lower it.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I think it should be 18 and people need more education on alcohol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)