Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing the drinking age to 18? Good idea or not?

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday we went to a family gathering for Father's Day. Throughout the day beer and other alcoholic beverages were available as it ususally is with family gatherings.

My younger cousin (20) was there. Several family members offered him a drink, but he refused because he isnt 21. Now I know you are probably thinking that he just didn't want to drink around family, but that is not the case. He is in the military. His dream since he was a little boy was to be in the military. Anyway, he is a rule follower and would never knowingly or deliberately break a rule that could effect his military career.

I wondered about it all day though. Do you think the legal drinking age should be lowered in the United States? After all people can vote, enter into legal and binding contracts, buy tobacco products, permanently alter their bodies and serve their country at 18 years old, why not be able to legally drink as well? 

Thoughts? 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
Summerlove0617
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I grew up in Quebec where the drinking age is 18. I don't see anything wrong with it. I moved to the states when I was 20 & couldn't walk into a liquor store to buy a bottle of wine!!! My husband(then bf) had to do it for me! How embarrassing! But yes if you can drive, vote, buy tobacco, graduated from high school, serve in the military, go to college at 18 then I don't see why you can't drink legally. People have always and will always find find a way around the"rules" for just about anything.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, I will tell him.

And thanks for the links. Great information there.

Quoting NocturnesAngel:

Please tell your Cousin, "Thank you" from myself & my family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In some areas, if you have a Military ID, they will Serve You Regardless of Your Age.

Also, in some States, drinking is permitted:

Did You Know?
  1. Although many believe that anyone under the age of 21 is prohibited from consuming alcohol in the United States, underage drinking isallowed in 29 states if done on private premises with parental consent, 25 states if for religious purposes, and 7 states if for educational purposes[1] [2]

2. Between 1970 to 1976, 30 states lowered their Minimum Legal Drinking Age (MLDA) from 21 to 18, 19, or 20. [3]

3. The enactment of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 [4] prompted states to raise their legal age for purchase or public possession of alcohol to 21 or risk losing millions in federal highway funds.

4. After the repeal of alcohol prohibition by the 21st Amendment on Dec. 5, 1933, Illinois (1933-1961) and Oklahoma (1933-1976) set their state drinking age at 21 for men and 18 for women. The 1976 US Supreme Court case Craig v. Boren ruled 7-2 that this age difference violated the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment. [3]

Links are below:

http://drinkingage.procon.org/

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

Minimum Drinking Age Around the World:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge.html

Have a wonderful week 

hugs

baileymarie723
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I wouldn't see a problem with it except most 18-year-olds are still in high school, and I don't agree with high schoolers drinking alcohol. I would say 19 or 20 would be ok to switch it to. I also don't feel that some 18-year-olds are mature enough to be responsible drinkers, but I wouldn't use this as a decision maker since there are also "of age" adults that aren't responsible drinkers.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
mommieof1b4g
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM

no. hell. thats just what we need MORE teens drinking and being stupid. 21 is fine,

NavywifeLea
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I think they should lower back to 18, like it was years ago. I feel if you can serve in the military you should be able to have a drink or two. I would rather have my child have a drink or two than smoking. IMO

mrsbarefootsoul
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I'm not a good person to answer this question. I have a strong moral objection to alcohol. But, that's just me. Many people use it responsibly. But just like so many other things, many people don't. I know how dumb I was at 18, and don't think the drinking age should be lowered at all. Again, just my opinion. 

c_ramirez8606
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Nope. There needs to be stricter rules for under age drinking. 18 year old's are not responsible enough to know when they have had enough. They don't have the life experience yet ("in general", does not apply to all 18 year old's). I think they should keep it at 21.

However, I think anyone in the military should be able to have a beer/alchol if they want. They risk their lives for us everyday and if they want a load off, they should be able too.

Gabeys_Mommy
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I think if you are in the military and brave enough to fight for your country you should be allowed to have a drink. As for overall, I think 21 is sufficient.

My BIL just came home from training in the Air Force before he's off to his permanent base. He wouldn't drink, either. All the rules they have are crazy but he loves it.
puttinintime
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I think we are fooling ourselves if we think that the majority of kids are like this well raised cousin of yours. I would say more than half of junior high school kids use alcohol on a regular basis and pretending that making the "legal" age 21 instead of 18 is kind of sticking our heads in the sand. I also think it was kind of stupid to do away with 3.2 beer. It took a lot more beer to get someone drunk when I was a teenager then now. You had to consume a lot more liwuid to get drunk. I am not a beer or alcohol drinker, but I have a 22 year old and he went to a "good" Catholic school and my Lord, those kids used drugs and alcohol like it was going out of style. I would prefer the legal age to be 18 and the 3.2 beer to be brought back so that perhaps they can drink some and not become drunk as fast as is the current situation. The difference between an 18 year old male and a 21 year old male in most cases isn't a lot. Go on any college campus and you will see how alcohol and drugs are abused every weekend by an awful lot of these young adults. I'd prefer they didn't use them at all, but most kids are going to dabble in them at some point. For them, legality is NOT what the majority are really thinking about-it is being cool, feeling like they are 'adult" and getting juiced. If they can vote, drive, die for their country, I can't imagine why they shouldn't also be considered adult enough to drink alsohol, stupid though that may be.

NNB
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM

In the UK it's 18... so I don't see a problem with it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)