Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Changing the drinking age to 18? Good idea or not?

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday we went to a family gathering for Father's Day. Throughout the day beer and other alcoholic beverages were available as it ususally is with family gatherings.

My younger cousin (20) was there. Several family members offered him a drink, but he refused because he isnt 21. Now I know you are probably thinking that he just didn't want to drink around family, but that is not the case. He is in the military. His dream since he was a little boy was to be in the military. Anyway, he is a rule follower and would never knowingly or deliberately break a rule that could effect his military career.

I wondered about it all day though. Do you think the legal drinking age should be lowered in the United States? After all people can vote, enter into legal and binding contracts, buy tobacco products, permanently alter their bodies and serve their country at 18 years old, why not be able to legally drink as well? 

Thoughts? 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
WowIllbeamom11
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Yes! People learn not to do stupid things because they work up gradually not a wooo you're 21 lets get you shitfaced!

Quoting Mabuka:

The drinking age should be non-existent. In places where there is no set age, there is hardly any alcohol-related problems.

tigerstripes12
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

i feel the drinking age either needs to be lowered to 18 OR smoking, marriage, voting, and military admission need to be raised to 21.  if 18 is supposed to be adult and old enough to make huge life decisions, then drinking should definitely be included.

EbonySnow
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I honestly have no opinion on it

shellyplatz
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM

not, most 21 yr olds aren't mature enough to handle liquor that's why there are fights and crying and all the other things that go on

Mtakinboye
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM

No.

Cdaly12491
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel that if you're old enough to fight and die for your country, you're old enough to kick back and have a beer. 

Just my opinion.

Diane1223
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I think if you can vote and serve your country at 18, then you should be able to drink at 18
kearaloves1
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM

yes because it wont be seen as so forbidden.

kstchr
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Maybe if it was lowered to 20. I'd be Ok with those in the military being able to drink legally at 18 years of age. Just seems kinda wrong to be old enough to risk your life to defend our country, but not old enough to drink legally!

fullxbusymom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM

No I do not!!  Sorry but they raised the drinking age to 21 for a reason.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN