Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Changing the drinking age to 18? Good idea or not?

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday we went to a family gathering for Father's Day. Throughout the day beer and other alcoholic beverages were available as it ususally is with family gatherings.

My younger cousin (20) was there. Several family members offered him a drink, but he refused because he isnt 21. Now I know you are probably thinking that he just didn't want to drink around family, but that is not the case. He is in the military. His dream since he was a little boy was to be in the military. Anyway, he is a rule follower and would never knowingly or deliberately break a rule that could effect his military career.

I wondered about it all day though. Do you think the legal drinking age should be lowered in the United States? After all people can vote, enter into legal and binding contracts, buy tobacco products, permanently alter their bodies and serve their country at 18 years old, why not be able to legally drink as well? 

Thoughts? 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (71-80):
GarysWife1991
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Where I live (and many other states)  it is legal to provide your own underage kids alcohol.  I think it teaches them to be responsible with it and takes the mystery out of it.  My 16 year old will have an occasional drink at home with us and she has no interest in going to any of the teen drinking parties that her friends go to.

lazyd
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Yes, i think 18 should be the age of drinking.  Kids are doing it anyways.  They are considered adults at 18, WHY cant an 18 make that adult decision - yea they can join the military and get killed before they can legally have a drink!

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM

No I don't think it is. In some ways, I think 16 is too young to allow driving, so I definitely wouldn't think drinking at that age is a good idea.

splatz
by Sarah on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM

No, most 21 year olds are not mature enough for it honestly. 

artistic_kitty
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

The real problem is that most kids aren't taught the good, bad and the ugly of alcohol. They are only told not to drink, which does nothing but makes them want to do it more. And usually it's at a unsupervised party were things can go down hill fast. I mean how many kids have you heard of that have wound up dead from getting wasted at a family picnic. My parents allowed me to try it at 18 preferably at home or family functions. Most of the time I turned them down. But by them not making a big deal out of it, it never became a big deal with me. In fact I'm 34 years old and I still don't really drink. Nor do I think I have to in order to have a good time. But maybe I'm just a weirdo. ;)

lsteph0512
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

21 is fine to me

Michaelsmom0522
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Good points made but if it was up to me I would not lower it to 18. Most 18 year olds are not mature enough and I just think it would cause a lot of problems. Then again if an 18 year old wants to drink, they will find a way.
Bookwormy
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM
The brain doesn't finish developing until 25yo. That's when alcohol should be legal too.
shirleywiley
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Actually, I think that they should raise the military enrollment age to 21. I don't think that it's fair to ask kids that have barely graduated high school to die for our country... Being that that's not the case though, I'm fully in support of any soldier getting a beer. Maybe they could get a pass like married couples. I don't know where you're at but I'm in Wisconsin and here if you can show a marriage certificate as long as one of the couple is 21 then the spouse can drink. It's also legal for a parent to give their child low alcolhol content drinks like beer but not liquer.

letstalk747
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM

not a good idea ,for many reasons

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN