Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Changing the drinking age to 18? Good idea or not?

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday we went to a family gathering for Father's Day. Throughout the day beer and other alcoholic beverages were available as it ususally is with family gatherings.

My younger cousin (20) was there. Several family members offered him a drink, but he refused because he isnt 21. Now I know you are probably thinking that he just didn't want to drink around family, but that is not the case. He is in the military. His dream since he was a little boy was to be in the military. Anyway, he is a rule follower and would never knowingly or deliberately break a rule that could effect his military career.

I wondered about it all day though. Do you think the legal drinking age should be lowered in the United States? After all people can vote, enter into legal and binding contracts, buy tobacco products, permanently alter their bodies and serve their country at 18 years old, why not be able to legally drink as well? 

Thoughts? 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (91-95):
mp0264
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Rules are made to ensure people avoid certain behaviors. Teenagers will always find their way around rules. Sure your teens may drink and do drugs at some point before they graduate. At the very least, they will know how to access it. Some of them will make it to be adults, some of them won't. Changing the rules to fit a teenager's way of life is not responsible. Whether you let your kid drink at 12, 18, or 20, you need to be comfortable with the consequences of that decision.  As a adults, we are the role models and we set the rules in our households. So if the new law is drink at 12 and you don't agree with that, then make a different rule in your household. And if your kid decides to break your rule, then they know a consequence for their behavior is waiting for them at home. Let's hope your kids listen, so they do make it home.

mommyof2andhalf
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:28 AM
I think everyone one has a strong opinion on this subject. I think people should not be able to kill themselves with tobacco and die serving our country without ever having a beer. I don't understand why the legal drinking age is different than the legal age to smoke or join the military etc. 18 is a reasonable age to drink.
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Not good

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM
A lot of people turn 18 while they are still in high school, so no I do not think the drinking age should be lowered.
ElizabethGee
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Not!! I still think that young ppl shouldnt drink til there old enough to do it responsibly. I know i wasnt ready when i started drinking( at eighteen) and i wouldnt want my sons to make my mistakes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN