Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Are you still renting?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM
  • 17 Replies

We are and I can not even begin to explain how frustrating it is getting! My husband works construction and we move about every 1-2 years. So buying a house was never really an option. We tried a few times but could never get qualified. Now that my husband has a great job we are trying to get qualified to buy a house and we still do not qualify! We have two car payments and they have done absolutly NOTHING for our credit! Both of our scores are still less than 600 and we are almost done with both cars! It is so frustrating. We still do not even qualify for any credit cards either unless it is a secured line and still then they said it takes at least a year to get established credit with them.

Our recent landlord has been such a pain in the ass. He did not think to even mention that he was going to have a construction crew come and rip apart our entire sidewalk! I complained to the office after not being able to get ahold of my landlord by telephone and he came banging on the door the next day saying I was arguing with his construction staff! Which I was not. Let me tell you I asked them to wait on one section of the sidewalk because I needed access to my driveway and they werent even going to let me get my vehicles out! And they said it was going to take a week for the concrete work to be finished! My landlord said I should be thankful that he is "improving" not only his property but the property we lived on. WTF? Seriously I was so furious I just walked away and let my husband deal with him. He later came to me and said I needed better communication with him. WHAT? It is in our lease he is to let us know at least a day before ANY work is to be done on the property so we can prepare and we have not been given that courtesy once. (there have been several repairs that needed taken care of when we moved in.)

Moving right now is not an option. because my husband has worked here less than a year we did not get approved to rent through any realtys. Small town = less options.

I can not believe they make it so hard to buy a house. I am so fed up with trying our hardest to pay our bills and getting absolutley NOWHERE!

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM

We just bought a new house this past September.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM

We rent right now but hope to buy next Spring! We need a house with two small children!

mumamy
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I feel your pain.
Were still in the renting game.
We keep moving like you and my health has never been the best so we get close to debt free and it starts again....never feels like the 'right time' but hopefully end of next year we will be ready to jump in and when we relocate again we will rent it to someone else.
I stopped worrying about age and that we hadnt purchased a home already about 5 years ago....best thing we ever did. If it happens, Great!....if not then its not the end of the world.

PhoenixFire
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Been there, done that. But we are happily renting right now. We do not plan on buying for quite some time. We are happy with where we are and do not want to have to move for a long time, at least 4-5 years.

I think a large part of it is who you have a for a landlord and finding a way to make communication work. Arguing never works, but the "kill 'em with kindness" motto does.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I'm sorry you're going through this. No advice, I know nothing about trying to improve a credit score. Hope things turn around for you soon.

Mrs.H15
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
We rent right now, but are thinking about buying....I want to rent for another year but so keeps pushing to buy so we'll see. We are 21 and for some reason he has in his head we should have a house already...I really want to go back to school but I doubt that will happen if we purchase a house.
shaynaj1980
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

We've been very lucky. We moved into this house in 2007 and we're moving out next week. We lucked in when the rental market was low here and although it's climbed steadily in the past few years, our rent is still much lower than a comparable house in the city. However, an amazing opportunity literally fell into our lap a few weeks ago and we are moving to a new province next week. This house is about the same size we live in now, but with three bedrooms instead of two, and the rent is $400 per month cheaper. Housing in this province is also 1/3 the cost of where we live now. And the beauty of it all is that with my job, I can work from anywhere in the world as long as I have a high-speed internet connection, it just means that when I move, my workday will be from 11am to 7pm. I don't mind that at all as I'm more efficient in the afternoon/evening hours. I'm very excited as this means we'll be able to actually save up a nice downpayment and finally buy a house, something which we can't do here. To buy a house here, it's minimum of $300,000 for something decent and we do not want to carry a mortgage that high.

lovingmommywife
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM
We just bought a house. But was renting the last 4 yrs. what a pain. The house was falling apart and the landlord did hack job fixing it up so again the same stuff fall apart or broke and now we r getting yelled at about it when it wasn't our fault. We paid 1500.00 a month. Thank god we r out of there. Not to mention the house had well water and now some of our clothes, all my towels and most if my dishes, pots and pans are all ruined. Grrrr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I haven't rented in over 20 yrs.     I am amazed that you don't qualify for a credit card!   My son was able to get a Visa on his own while working part time.  He has never had a car payment.  Try US Bank.   If you open a savings account with them and keep the balance at $100 for 3 months, they will issue you a Visa. 

villagemamma
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I feel your pain. We just recently found a place that has been really nice and drama free. DH and i are still probably another 5 years out from buying our first house. We have college and student loans to get through first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN