Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you still renting?

Posted by   + Show Post

We are and I can not even begin to explain how frustrating it is getting! My husband works construction and we move about every 1-2 years. So buying a house was never really an option. We tried a few times but could never get qualified. Now that my husband has a great job we are trying to get qualified to buy a house and we still do not qualify! We have two car payments and they have done absolutly NOTHING for our credit! Both of our scores are still less than 600 and we are almost done with both cars! It is so frustrating. We still do not even qualify for any credit cards either unless it is a secured line and still then they said it takes at least a year to get established credit with them.

Our recent landlord has been such a pain in the ass. He did not think to even mention that he was going to have a construction crew come and rip apart our entire sidewalk! I complained to the office after not being able to get ahold of my landlord by telephone and he came banging on the door the next day saying I was arguing with his construction staff! Which I was not. Let me tell you I asked them to wait on one section of the sidewalk because I needed access to my driveway and they werent even going to let me get my vehicles out! And they said it was going to take a week for the concrete work to be finished! My landlord said I should be thankful that he is "improving" not only his property but the property we lived on. WTF? Seriously I was so furious I just walked away and let my husband deal with him. He later came to me and said I needed better communication with him. WHAT? It is in our lease he is to let us know at least a day before ANY work is to be done on the property so we can prepare and we have not been given that courtesy once. (there have been several repairs that needed taken care of when we moved in.)

Moving right now is not an option. because my husband has worked here less than a year we did not get approved to rent through any realtys. Small town = less options.

I can not believe they make it so hard to buy a house. I am so fed up with trying our hardest to pay our bills and getting absolutley NOWHERE!

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Replies (11-17):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

We own.

Summerlove0617
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM

We bought our house in 2005. After that a lot of the rules changed and they've made it harder for people to secure mortgages. Before they were handing them out to every Tom, Dick and Haddock and they didn't care about credit and whatever else. Now with all the bank crack going on and foreclosures is so hard to get a mortgage. Good luck! 

jaydensmom1726
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM

once you pay off your cars it will do alot for your credit score.especially if you can pay it off a few months early

WowIllbeamom11
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM
We got approved for a rent to own property, it'll be soooo nice to get out of this duplex we've been living for almost 2 years! We're 24.
orliesmom
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Thank you all for your replies! I am so glad that I am not the only one in this situation! It seems to be a subject no one realy talking about.

I no one thing holding us back is the fact that my husband gets transferred to different jobs alot. We have been denied in the past for my husband not being at the same job locatioi for more than a year which really sucks!

eclaudin
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:41 AM
One way to get yourself into home is to buy a very cheap foreclosure home and buy it outright like we did, so no mortgage, no credit issues, no worries.We paid 25k ( seriously) for ours, fixed it up in 7 weeks completely by ourselves, and couldn't be happier. It looks gorgeous and exactly how we wanted. Our rent had been $800, now we pay $180 a month for taxes and insurance. If you don't have that kind of money saved up, you could apply for a personal loan which can be easier than a mortgage, or see if a family member will lend you that amount of money for 6 months to a year. After you buy the house cash, you will not only have full equity, but after you fix it up, even superficially, you will likely have equity double or triple what you paid for it, allowing you to get a home equity line of credit which you can use to pay back whoever lent you the money. You just need to look at really cheap houses and do it before the market climbs too high to make thus possible. Home prices are already rising.
orliesmom
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I have thought of this already. We do not qualify for any loans of that size and we prefer something that is mostly fixed as we have 4 children and another on the way. so with two babies we do not want to have something that we are spending time and money on fixing.

Of everyone in my family we are the most well off. People borrow money from us lol. But we never have more than a few thousand saved which mostly gets spent in august for school clothes for the three oldest kids and for their athletic fees throughout the year.

THere are a ton of cheap houses. Unfortunetly they are usually 2 bedroom houses sometimes three but no extra room to add on which pretty much doesnt make the hosue worth buying for us.

Quoting eclaudin:

One way to get yourself into home is to buy a very cheap foreclosure home and buy it outright like we did, so no mortgage, no credit issues, no worries.We paid 25k ( seriously) for ours, fixed it up in 7 weeks completely by ourselves, and couldn't be happier. It looks gorgeous and exactly how we wanted. Our rent had been $800, now we pay $180 a onth for taxes and insurance. If you don't have that kind of money saved up, you could apply for a personal loan which can be easier than a mortgage, or see if a family member will lend you that amount of money for 6 months to a year. After you buy the house cash, you will not only have full equity, but after you fix it up, even superficially, you will likely have equity double or triple what you paid for it, allowing you to get a home equity line of credit which you can use to pay back whoever lent you the money. You just need to look at really cheap houses and do it before the market climbs too high to make thus possible. Home prices are already rising.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)