Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My toddler is out of control

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:27 AM
  • 7 Replies
My daughter is 2 yrs old an I have no idea what to do about her attitude. Shes constantly yelling at me and telling "no,shut up". Shes started to hit me and her daddy in the face,or throw things at us meaning to hit us with it. I know that"kids will be kids" and they will have their tantrums. But this is getting rediculous, she doesnt listen to us and i dont know what to do any more please im begging i need help.
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
splatz
by Sarah on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I get that toddlers act out. Mine does plenty. But saying shut up and hitting is not good. 

What do you do when she acts like that?

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Make sure you are consistent with the punishment you are choosing.

awsomemom2011
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I pop her butt an tell her that its not nice to say an do stuff like that. It doesnt even faze her tho. Now shes throwing stuff at everyone!!
SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM
She needs to be taught and given tools if you want l see real changes. She needs lots of love and affection too.
goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Try a 2 minute time out, take away a privilege or favorite toy.

Shelly126
by Michele on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Toddlers can certainly act out and push buttons! The more you feel you have lost control, the more she will know it and continue to take control away from you.
Kids are a lot smarter than people give them credit for and she understands a lot more than you may think. I use time outs with my boys (I have twin 2 1/2 yr old boys) and I use a highchair as the time out chair. Yes, I still use the highchair, I know my boys would never sit in a chair for time outs and instead of making myself crazy trying to get them to stay put for even a second, I put them in the highchair! @ first it didn't seem to phase them, they would cry, get out and go right back to what they were doing. I would warn them that they will go back to time out if they continue and then without a word, if they continued they would go right back in the chair for another minute or 2. Naturally they cried and this was a vicious cycle for a few weeks but now when I give them a warning and mention the time out chair they usually stop and move along! LOL
The key is consistency even if it seems to have no effect the first week or 2. Toddlers are testing the waters and are very intuitive, keep your cool, speak in a clear voice and in an even tone. Yelling and getting flustered will only make a bad situation worse. Whenever my boys get into things they shouldn't I tell them no, give a quick reason why and a warning of time out, I keep my cool and never have a tantrum of my own no matter how tempting it may be to throw myself on the floor and cry too! LOL hugs, just remember to be consistent.
awsomemom2011
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:44 AM
I have tried the time out with her since she turned two. I always put her in time out for nomore then two minutes based on her age. I have taken everything out of her room, the only thing that she has in her room is a bed and dresser,all her toys are in the spare room or the "playroom". I have heard about a program called the cdsa, which is program for kids from the ages of one till three. An they help with any problem that the child has, they even have classes for the parents. Yesterday piper threw a shoe at our neighbor(which hit her in the face). Im really not trying to make excuses for her or myself by all means, but nothing works, i never yell her bc i feel that yes that does make the situation worse and makes the child more upset. She called me a witch today except with a b. I just cant seem to get her under control, the only people that she does listen to is my mother, sister, mother in law and sis in law. After rhey leave shes back to her old ways. The way she acts is greatly my fault bc she is an only child and since shes been born shes had medical problem after problem, with merca, asthma, eigzema, and a delayed birth. So ive stopped babying her but now she doesnt listen, and by the way i stopped wehn she was about a yr an a half old so almost a yeah ago, shell b 2 1/2 n august. So now im really trying to get her to listen. Have any of u tried a program such as cdsa and if so has it worked with your children?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)