Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

baby/diaper shower etiquette

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 31 Replies
Are you allowed to have a shower for a second baby? My sister was going to plan a diaper shower for me. This is my second baby. She swnt me a text a bit ago and said she got to thinking about it, and showers are only for your first. That you don't get a shower for every child. Doesnt every child deserve to be celebrated? I didn't know there were rules governing when you are or aren't allowed to have a shower. What are your thoughts on having a diaper shower for a second baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
splatz
by Sarah on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Sprinkles, diaper showers, etc are common after the first. I see no reason why every baby should not be celebrated. It doesn't have to be anything huge. But I think its worth a small party. :)

miraclemom20821
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM

If you can celebrate each one. You don't have to ask  for the big stuff. Also the big sister or brother has to help with the new baby arrival. Of course you should have one. If someone feels they don't agree, they don't have to come. You have a religious blessing for each child and a birthday for each? Each child needs to feel as equally important. If your family doesn't want to do it get your girlfriends to do it. 

villagemamma
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I am having one for my second. My kids are going to be almost 5 years apart and i have a completely different life and set of friends/family that would be attending. Plus i honestly think all babies should be celebrated.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Idk I never had a shower period. But if I had, I would not have one for my 2nd.

CatFishMom
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Theres etiquette, I wouldnt say 'rules' but I believe every child deserves to be celebrated. We had a 'sprinkle' for baby number two and I got cloth diapers and clothes. I registered for stupid things like toys that I didnt have from my first born. If you register for tons of big stuff, thats tacky and rude and I actually refused to go to a shower for my husband's friend's wife because she pulled that with her second girl. Baby number three, my mom threw me another shower (but a very small one) because it's my first girl but again, I registered for nothing but clothes and a handful of girly toys, some girly receiving blankets and crib sheets. Not one thing over twenty or thirty dollars (I think the thirty dollar item was a set of amber beads with a bracelet). It also depends on how much time there is between babies. My sister in law had a diaper shower for her second boy. I think it's fine.

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM
There's 4 years between babies and this one is a girl. Our first is a boy. When u talked to her the night before she said she was working ouf details, then sends me thhe text. I wasn't sure if she was kidding. We dont need big stuff or clothes. But help with diapers would be fantazlstic

Quoting CatFishMom:

Theres etiquette, I wouldnt say 'rules' but I believe every child deserves to be celebrated. We had a 'sprinkle' for baby number two and I got cloth diapers and clothes. I registered for stupid things like toys that I didnt have from my first born. If you register for tons of big stuff, thats tacky and rude and I actually refused to go to a shower for my husband's friend's wife because she pulled that with her second girl. Baby number three, my mom threw me another shower (but a very small one) because it's my first girl but again, I registered for nothing but clothes and a handful of girly toys, some girly receiving blankets and crib sheets. Not one thing over twenty or thirty dollars (I think the thirty dollar item was a set of amber beads with a bracelet). It also depends on how much time there is between babies. My sister in law had a diaper shower for her second boy. I think it's fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I think there is nothing wrong with a second shower. As you said, have a diaper shower. There is a space between of quite a few years & a different sex of child. Nothing wrong even if there wasn't, but that for sure makes it even more of a reason. 

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM
She's trying to compromise. If you have all the stuff from your previous babe, unless it's the opposite gender, why do you need another full shower for the expensive stuff?

Every coming of a child should be celebrated, usually bringing gifts a new mom needs. If all you need is diapers and opposite gender clothing... Be grateful. She didn't mean it the way it came out or she wouldn't throw you one at all.
MichelleMc
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

The Poster said she didn't want a full shower, just a diaper shower. She said she didn't want expensive stuff, nothing even like that. She said all she wanted was diapers & the baby to be celebrated. Her sister said she doesn't think she should even have the diaper shower now. 

Plus she has already stated that the baby is opposite gender & 4 years after the first child. 

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

She's trying to compromise. If you have all the stuff from your previous babe, unless it's the opposite gender, why do you need another full shower for the expensive stuff?

Every coming of a child should be celebrated, usually bringing gifts a new mom needs. If all you need is diapers and opposite gender clothing... Be grateful. She didn't mean it the way it came out or she wouldn't throw you one at all.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Well, okay then, so sorry I misread, it isn't like
A misread has never happened before.
My mistake.

Quoting MichelleMc:

The Poster said she didn't want a full shower, just a diaper shower. She said she didn't want expensive stuff, nothing even like that. She said all she wanted was diapers & the baby to be celebrated. Her sister said she doesn't think she should even have the diaper shower now. 

Plus she has already stated that the baby is opposite gender & 4 years after the first child. 

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)