Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Eating dinner as a family......

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM
  • 10 Replies
So when I was growing up, I always wanted to sit at the dinner table as a family and eat but we never did. My brother and I would grab our plates and go our separate ways. On specials occasions we all sat together but for the most part we didn't. And the same can be said for my husband and his siblings as they grew up. So when we had our own family, we changed that. Every night I light three candles at the table, put on music in the background (Michael buble or I really like The Holiday soundtrack, anything relaxing) and we eat as a family. That's something I want to continue through the years, it may seem silly to others but its important to me. So my question to you ladies -- are there any family traditions that you have passed on now that you have your own family? Or maybe there's something that you didn't do as you were growing up that you do with your kids now?
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:09 PM

The tradition we started with our son is saying I love you all the time, but meaning it. My parents loved me & I don't think otherwise. But they weren't ones raised to say it, and didn't say it all the time or often. They were a lot older parents. So it was something we really wanted to start with our son & in our marriage. We always do it. The you never know if it is the last time you get to say it, it s a way I wanted to live my life. I never want to think, did my son know. 

BuckeyezRule
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:49 AM

My mom became a SAHM for me 3 weeks before I was born, and, hasn't worked outside the home since. I never had the 'cool' toys my friends had, but, I was adored by my mom. And, I was a brat. Lol I fully admit it. Lol we always ate as a family. Always. I'm not as great. I've mostly been SAHM. I have plenty of friends, and adult contact, interaction. Lol my kids adore and love when we have dinner at the table as a family. Dd is joyous. :) she also is for home cooked meals. I have pretty great kids. :) 

And respect? #1 for us. My kids respect elders in charge. Dd thanks my neighbor's mom for any meal she serves dd. :) my neighbor has told me. And bragged of my kids thanking on her on fb, numerous times. :) even other gestures, dd thanks my neighbor for. :) neighbor is the mother of my dd's, beloved, bestie. Lol 

villagemamma
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:26 AM

My family growing up was always on an extremely strict schedule. including eating dinner together. DH, dd and i try and eat dinner together at least a few times a week. One major tradition that i have kept in my family that started when i was little was having sunday night be family movie night. We usually get a pizza or make something simple for dinner and then all snuggle on the couch and watch a movie. I love it!

Karopie_99
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM
We eat dinner as a family every night. There is a night every other week or so that SO and I will eat very little with the kids because we have a "in home date night" planned when they go to bed. We have a nightly bedtime routine my kiddos love. We also end the evening with a walk on the beach after dinner. As long as it isn't freezing, snowing, nasty storm. I'm sure we have other thinvs just on the spot thinking, I can't think of anything else
jaytee
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I grew up eating dinner with family every single night. We almost always eat dinner together as a family. I couldn't imagine it being any other way.

splatz
by Sarah on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM

When I lived with my mom for the second half of my childhood we never ate dinner as a family. That is something I do with my family every night now. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I grew up eating dinner as a family and that's something my family does every evening.

SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:30 AM

We always eat together as a family.  

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM

We eat dinner as a family.

DsnyGrl
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:56 PM

ya I have a couple of things.....every Friday my husband and I make homemade pizza together...this is of course done after we put our 6 month old down for bed :-)

and I have an activity that I have started to do with my baby...we hop in the car and I call it "lets get lost" and I go exploring nearby roads I have never been down....and see what we can find...even stopping at a unique store or something along the way :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)