Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you allow your child to have plastic surgery?

Posted by   + Show Post

A 16 year old girl is having a face lift to help correct a disfigurement left by a genetic condition.

Although the facelift is to fix the disfigurement, it has caused a bit of controversy about somone so young having 'unnecessary' cosmetic surgery.

Would you allow your child to have cosmetic surgery in any instance?

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Replies (51-60):
mollymolly
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Yes, I would.  I grew up with a huge nose and a big bump on it, to boot.  It's very, very hard on a girl's self esteem to grow up like this.  I def. think you're doing the right thing for your daughter.

cstargarner
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM

If it would help their quality of life like this and my child wanted to do it, i'd do it if we could afford it and I knew it would help her not get bullied or anything.  I'm not sure how she looked before/after so not sure if i'd agree with it in this circumstance or not.  My son was born with only 2 fingers on his left hand with one joint in each.  If I had the option to "fix" his hand where he'd have a normal childhood and wouldn't have to worry about him getting bullied, etc, then I'd consider it.  I know for him it's not an option and he uses his hand fine and hasn't dealt with mean kids too much so far (almost 4 yrs) but it's a constant worry for me and I know i'll be heartbroken when the day comes that someone acts ugly to him because of it.  I just do my best to teach him ways to handle people and their questions, stares...  If it was just something that they didn't like about themself then I would be against it and i'd just do my best to teach him/her ways to deal with people who aren't nice because you shouldn't have to change yourself because of someone else's bad attitude.

MsRkg
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:18 AM
It would depend on the reasonings behind why my child wanted/needed the procedure.
2ArfarasMom
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Hmmm originally when I saw the title of the post my thought was HELL to the NO lol. But now that I've read it's to fix a disfigurement caused by a genetic condition....that changes things, sort of. I'm not sure, my kids are very young so I can't really say what I'd do. But I think I would consider it, especially if the disfigurement was really noticeable, that would be difficult for any 16 yr old to deal with so perhaps
GirlWithANikon
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Sure would. How is it any different than surgery for say a cleft that was fixed so the child can eat breath, swallow , and drink but looks messed up? Or a baby who got a tumor removed from the side of their face ? I see A LOT of stories of babies getting surgeries ultimately for cosmetic reasons and no one makes a stink. I think that is really different than say hey mom my boobs aren't big enough yet my nose is too big and my knees are knobby.
Sammi20
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:40 AM

I would if my child was being tortured for being "disfigured" and I had the money...

Rhiannon1980
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Only if they where disfigured form say an accident or like in this girls case genetics. 

DaStormyOne1972
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM

never. the child is not finish growing and you are tampering with. in my opinion, she is a bad parent and the child needs to be removed from her care

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

It would depend on the reason. In general, no

evilstepmomof4
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM

My step granddaughter was born with a clef (no right side). It was from bottom left nostril to bottom gum line. Her pallet, top lip and gums have been corrected as much as possible for a 6 month - 1 year old. When she is 4 the doctors will perform plastic surgery for her lip and the dentist will try to fix her gums.

Why have the child suffer for something she had no control over while in gestation of birth? If the mom and dad feel it's going to benifit her and prevent less teasing I say go for it. She will need a speach therapist as well. How much more should a child endure?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)